Waxon Detailing Forum
Oily film/residue - Printable Version

+- Waxon Detailing Forum (http://www.waxon.co.za)
+-- Forum: General & Galleries (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Oily film/residue (/showthread.php?tid=1757)

Oily film/residue - katotter - 10-04-2012 01:10 PM

So I've had it up to my armpits! I wipe, APC, IPA, Windowlene, Fastglass etc. my windshield but to no avail, this bloody film/residue will not go away. Here is three pics to show you what it looks like, sorry for the kak BB pics, on the last one I dragged my thumb across the windshield to show the difference. It is on the inside, have not smoked in the car since my purchase 17 months ago, I used all types of cloth on it.

[Image: IMG-20120410-00390.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120410-00389.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120410-00391.jpg]
Any advice will be appreciated.

RE: Oily film/residue - STaX - 10-04-2012 02:46 PM

Certain products do that to the windows if they are applied to interior surfaces. Do you use anything on your dash?

RE: Oily film/residue - katotter - 10-04-2012 03:01 PM

(10-04-2012 02:46 PM)STaX Wrote:  Certain products do that to the windows if they are applied to interior surfaces. Do you use anything on your dash?
I heard that as well, but I only use aerosol when I have to, otherwise I use Megs ultimate dressing.

I read up on some German sites, they say that the plastic "evaporates" or "set free" VOC's and that is what causes this, they say it is the vinyl the dash is made of that does this. What can I use to take it off and protect it afterwards, I cannot even get is properly clean with all the stuff i used up to now...

RE: Oily film/residue - STaX - 10-04-2012 03:14 PM

Try some 303 Aerospace on the dash. It might fog up again, after application, within a week or so but after that initial fog has been wiped away it shouldn't do it again. At least that's the way it is with mine.
If it still does that there could be some silicone in one of your dressings, silicone is renown for leaving a film, that's what it is designed to do, so you would need to completely degrease your dash. Strong APC or something meant for degreasing should do it but make sure you dress your plastics in something decent afterwards as the harsher chemicals can dry the plastic out.
What aerosol are you using? If it's one of the Wynns or Shield, I think they contain silicone oils.
As for the 'German theory'... I don't know too much about that. Maybe in the cars first year of life but after that....?

RE: Oily film/residue - Lambchop - 10-04-2012 03:33 PM

Open your windows and let the car breath
Its the aircon etc on the windscreen

Thats the LC theory Bluebiggrin

RE: Oily film/residue - katotter - 10-04-2012 03:47 PM

I need to clarify, it is not fogging up, it is a residue that stays there. I cannot get the damn stuff off.

RE: Oily film/residue - STaX - 10-04-2012 03:51 PM

Sorry that was me confusing things with the word "fog", change to "residue build-up". Bluebiggrin

RE: Oily film/residue - Lambchop - 10-04-2012 04:15 PM

Why dont you try some clay on the inside of the window ?
might be messy with regards to the QD but worth a go ?

RE: Oily film/residue - calypso - 10-04-2012 10:59 PM

When last you change your cabin filter?
Also sounds liek dash products to me. I use Autoglym Glass Polish, removes oils better then anything else I have tried.

RE: Oily film/residue - katotter - 11-04-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:Sorry that was me confusing things with the word "fog", change to "residue build-up". Bluebiggrin
No prob Bluebiggrin

Quote:Why dont you try some clay on the inside of the window ?
might be messy with regards to the QD but worth a go ?
Probably as a last resort?

Quote:When last you change your cabin filter?
Also sounds liek dash products to me. I use Autoglym Glass Polish, removes oils better then anything else I have tried.
Cabin filter is due for a change in about 200km, so soon. I cleaned my dash last night with strong dilution of APC, dressed with Megs Ultimate Protector and cleaned the windshield with APC and after that windowlene, to no avail. I will try this Glass Polish you speak of, hopefully that works Thinking

RE: Oily film/residue - springbok - 11-04-2012 10:31 PM

Are you sure your cloths are totally clean? Try a brand new MF cloth.

RE: Oily film/residue - katotter - 12-04-2012 08:01 AM

(11-04-2012 10:31 PM)springbok Wrote:  Are you sure your cloths are totally clean? Try a brand new MF cloth.
Good idea, will go and purchase some today, I have only used my regular cloths, if this does not work then I give up.

RE: Oily film/residue - Carn - 13-04-2012 08:04 AM

A strong IPA solution on a clean microfiber cloth should clean off all the residues. Does it look like that directly after cleaning, or is that a few days afterwards?

Typically you will find that some of the residue is due to evaporation of the products you've applied to the dash Thumb

RE: Oily film/residue - katotter - 13-04-2012 09:16 AM

(13-04-2012 08:04 AM)Carn Wrote:  A strong IPA solution on a clean microfiber cloth should clean off all the residues. Does it look like that directly after cleaning, or is that a few days afterwards?

Typically you will find that some of the residue is due to evaporation of the products you've applied to the dash Thumb
Thanks Dave, will try this on Saturday.

BTW, the guys from VWCBB was looking for you a while ago, pop in and say hi.

RE: Oily film/residue - Carn - 16-04-2012 12:03 PM

(13-04-2012 09:16 AM)katotter Wrote:  Thanks Dave, will try this on Saturday.

BTW, the guys from VWCBB was looking for you a while ago, pop in and say hi.

Will do thanks Thumb