Waxon Detailing Forum
New car detail? - Printable Version

+- Waxon Detailing Forum (http://www.waxon.co.za)
+-- Forum: General & Galleries (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New car detail? (/showthread.php?tid=1760)

New car detail? - Pow - 18-04-2012 11:57 PM

I recently took delivery of a new S3 and IMHO the paint is farked. The thing was unwrapped from the shipment and it had swirl marks and blemishes all over. One scratch on the bonnet would not come off with Meg's Cleaner Wax which had me pretty peeved.

Now, things are a bit worse...right off the showroom floor it picked up paint damage (chips) and one nasty scratch. It is coming back from a panel shop tomorrow and I want to clean her up since no one cares it's new but me. Hammerhead

Do I rush out and buy a Meg's DA polisher, halogen lamp, and all the other goodies? Or do I tackle this by hand? Have a large assortment of Meg's products having chatted to Greg at length 2 years ago...wow, time has flown by.

Most aggressive stuff I have is a Smooth Clay Kit and some Cleaner Wax...I also own a Karcher 5.68 but don't have a foam lance...yet. Have the usual collection like Nxt shampoo, Tech Wax, Quick Detail Spray, Quick Wax spray, Endurance Tyre Gel, glass cleaner, interior foam, interior quick detail spray, leather foam, etc etc.

Any tips would be appreciated...otherwise I pay one of the pros a visit. Clap

[Image: 29b980b3-e9cb-d0a3.jpg]

[Image: 29b980b3-e9e4-e5f8.jpg]

[Image: 29b980b3-ea01-7b1a.jpg]

RE: New car detail? - Rayner - 19-04-2012 07:29 AM

Very nice ride!!!

Well if you want to do any decent amount of correction you will need a DA polisher and a skilled paired of hands. The skill is something you can learn along the way as well as a DA is relatively safe to use for beginners like us.

In my humble opinion it would be very worth your while to invest in a DA machine and the appropriate products for correction.

Good luck.
Rayner

RE: New car detail? - Pow - 19-04-2012 07:42 AM

Already in discussion with grand master Carnegie. Bluebiggrin

RE: New car detail? - Carn - 19-04-2012 09:08 AM

Congrats on the new wheels and a fine choice I might add...Is that Audi Constantia (w/rand)?

If you're willing to put in the hours and effort then doing it yourself could prove to be very rewarding, as well as allowing you the opportunity to keep her in tip top condition going forward.

A DA and some polishes/pads, etc would be required as most of the Audi's i've worked on have hard some pretty tough clear coat Thumb

RE: New car detail? - Lambchop - 19-04-2012 10:45 AM

Nice Car POW pitty its in the mess its in
I miss my S3 ALOT !! was a fantastic car

Give it a go yourself and you will be suprised
But be warned that Audi paint is as tough as a coffin nail

RE: New car detail? - Pow - 19-04-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Car is ready to be collected but...Audi are polishing it! Sigh, going to be so swirled now plus I am sure they don't tape the trim and rubber. Sad

RE: New car detail? - Pow - 20-04-2012 11:19 AM

As expected, after the visit to the panel shop, polish and wash, paint is looking bad. I can see the swirls in normal light ie. without halogen lamps.