Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 3.1 Average
Mobile-Image : Fiesta ST cleanup...
21-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Mobile-Image : Fiesta ST cleanup...
Just a quick one from yesterday. This was a single stage correction detail performed over a single day so not alot of pics Uhoh2

Some befores...
[Image: IMG_8713.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8714.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8716.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8735.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8769.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8775.jpg]

50/50 shots...
[Image: IMG_8718.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8724.jpg]

A couple of quick pics from the correction stage...
[Image: IMG_8739.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8741.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8742.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8754.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8749.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8763.jpg]

Close up...
[Image: IMG_8766.jpg]

And finally some afters...
[Image: IMG_8777.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8782.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8792.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8793.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8797.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8805.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8809.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8816.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8826.jpg]

I loved this bit...
[Image: IMG_8849.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8852.jpg]

Final 2...
[Image: IMG_8821.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8855.jpg]

Short & sweet for a change Bluebiggrin

Products used...

Wash
CG CWC
Sonax Extreme rim cleaner
Meguiars APC (10:1 and 5:1)
Raceglaze lambswool wash mitt

Correction
3M yellow pad
3M green pad
3M backing plate
LC CCS white cpt spot pad
LC CCS orange cpt spot pad
Menzerna SIP
Menzerna 106FA

LSP & Trim
Raceglaze 55'
Satin Prot

Other
Various bushes, microfiber towels and foam applicator pads

Thanks for looking Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2010, 07:07 PM
RE: Mobile-Image : Fiesta ST cleanup...
nice work dude
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Great result as usual

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
21-03-2010, 08:07 PM
You always manage to get cars looking better than new, real inspiration for us noobs.
Looks great, did you mix, chemistry set style. the SIP and FF to get such great results with one hit, or am I misunderstanding "single stage"??
Do you IPA/H2O wipe each panel after polishing it, or finish entire car once you knoe you have the right combo and then go back and clean up with IPA/H2O???
22-03-2010, 09:51 AM
One day ... One day .... when I grow up..... I wanna be like Carn !!!! Hehe!
Awesome job Dude!
22-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Ditto above, I was also thinking......all that it one day??

That was one swirled Fiesta.

David, won't you briefly expand on your use of the two 3M pads (yellow & green) and respective Menzerna products. Thanks.
22-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Excellent work as usual Dave. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a revisit of a car you've done before. It's sad to see how your previous hard work got to this stage again - even if the paint is soft.

I guess poor maintenance = annuity income for you Bluebiggrin.
22-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks gents, appreciate the comments Bluebiggrin

(21-03-2010 08:07 PM)Wells Wrote:  You always manage to get cars looking better than new, real inspiration for us noobs.
Looks great, did you mix, chemistry set style. the SIP and FF to get such great results with one hit, or am I misunderstanding "single stage"??
Do you IPA/H2O wipe each panel after polishing it, or finish entire car once you knoe you have the right combo and then go back and clean up with IPA/H2O???

What I meant by 'single stage correction' is simply only polishing each panel once, as opposed to multiple hits with varying polishes and pads.

SIP was used in conjunction with FA (3 drops SIP + 1 drop FA) for added lubricity and extended playtime more than anything else. SIP on it's own finishes down pretty well, but I think the addition of FA adds that extra bit of gloss as a result of the increased work time.

I usually spend a little bit of time playing on the bonnet to find a working combination before tackling the rest of the car. On almost all occasions I perform a post correction wash to remove all the polishing oils and dust prior to applying the LSP and finishing off Thumb

(22-03-2010 10:29 AM)springbok Wrote:  Ditto above, I was also thinking......all that it one day??

That was one swirled Fiesta.

David, won't you briefly expand on your use of the two 3M pads (yellow & green) and respective Menzerna products. Thanks.

12 hours to be exact Springbok Bluebiggrin

The 3M pads and Menz polishes are pretty interchangeable. I start out with FA on the yellow polishing pad and work my way up from there. The blue Ultrafina pads are really soft and offer almost no bite so they are reserved for burnishing on a 2 or 2 stage correction.

If FA on yellow doesn't cut it I step up to SIP on yellow before going to FA on the green pad. After FA i'll try SIP and finally FCP on the green pad before hauling out the purple foamed wool.

Hope that helps Wink

(22-03-2010 10:55 AM)Woodie6250 Wrote:  Excellent work as usual Dave. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a revisit of a car you've done before. It's sad to see how your previous hard work got to this stage again - even if the paint is soft.

I guess poor maintenance = annuity income for you Bluebiggrin.

This was a re-visit yes. I was initially surprised to see the condition the car was in, but to be fair to the owner it had been to a panel beater at some point since I last saw it Hammerhead

What is re-assuring to know is that the owner has some fairly decent products at hand to maintain the vehicle. He is also keen on improving his washing and maintenance techniques in a bid to keep the car looking as good as possible...Always good to hear IMO Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

22-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah thanks!
23-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Cool, thanks for the response David, the reason I asked, I did some work on my dads new Corsa, and decided that once I was happy with combo, i completed all the panels before trying to clean off Menz residue, so I tried a foam, followed by nomal wash solution, but this proved totally inadequate and a waste of time, so I resorted to IPA/H2O spray solution, panel by panel, then washing, sucked, and wasted time, so was jusnt wanting to know the best technique. Seems that panel by panel after the correction stage may be the answer though.

Thanks
23-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Awesome work Dave... seems the panelbeater took the pot scourer to it hey!

That Ford Sierra/Sapphire in the background has a HUGE wing on the back (Warp speed?) Rofl

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
23-03-2010, 05:39 PM
(23-03-2010 01:06 PM)Wells Wrote:  Cool, thanks for the response David, the reason I asked, I did some work on my dads new Corsa, and decided that once I was happy with combo, i completed all the panels before trying to clean off Menz residue, so I tried a foam, followed by nomal wash solution, but this proved totally inadequate and a waste of time, so I resorted to IPA/H2O spray solution, panel by panel, then washing, sucked, and wasted time, so was jusnt wanting to know the best technique. Seems that panel by panel after the correction stage may be the answer though.

Thanks

I buff the residue off after each section I polish. I wouldn't recommend leaving the residue on until the end of the correction stage for 2 reasons:

1.) Dust and dirt may settle and get stuck in/on the residue which when buffed off may leave marring or feint swirls.

2.) The only way to see what sort of correction you have achieved is to remove the residue. If you unhappy with a specific section you can always hit it again quickly before moving along.

@ Onyx...Scoobys run and hide from that Saphire with their wing between their tailpipes Rofl

www.mobileimage.co.za

24-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks again for the tips, makes sense, will do from here on out.

The Sierra, is it an XR8, or just modded XR6, cos the XR8`s are extremely rare.
24-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Lol. My mom used to have a 3.0 Sierra (and no she's not a redneck or anything). Petrol attendant once asked her "aren't you worried it will go too fast?"
25-03-2010, 10:02 AM
(24-03-2010 04:32 PM)Rory Wrote:  Petrol attendant once asked her "aren't you worried it will go too fast?"

Rofl
26-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Ooh this is another sweet finish Dave!! What did you use to dress the tires Satin prot?
26-03-2010, 05:44 PM
(26-03-2010 02:15 PM)Kido Wrote:  Ooh this is another sweet finish Dave!! What did you use to dress the tires Satin prot?

Thanks boet and yes, tires got Satin Prot Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

20-05-2010, 01:15 PM
WOW, awesome results Dave.... ClapClap

I have a friend with a Black Fiesta and the swirls on his car are exactly the same.... BawlingBawling We gonna tackle it in the next few weeks and hopefully get it looking nice and new again... ClapClap
20-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks dude....The Fiesta's paint wasn't too hard so you should get decent results Thumb

www.mobileimage.co.za

20-05-2010, 07:36 PM
(20-05-2010 07:26 PM)Carn Wrote:  Thanks dude....The Fiesta's paint wasn't too hard so you should get decent results Thumb

Yeah ive also got a fiesta, paint is quite soft, Stone Chips FTL... PlthumbsdownPlthumbsdown Ive actually got quite a few Fiestas lined up for some detail work... ClapClap just waiting for that DA... hehehehehe.... RoflRofl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mobile-Image : Ingolstadt's finest... Carn 22 170,377 03-08-2011 01:11 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : 25 hours with a Z4 ///M Carn 21 64,397 22-03-2011 06:14 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : On the front cover... Carn 15 45,093 13-03-2011 06:01 PM
Last Post: Torres1