Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 3.6 Average
Range Rover Detail
30-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Range Rover Detail
Ok so fathers day is here and i agreed to detail my dads range rover. Bad idea, socks or soap on a rope is much easier. Anyways after a big lunch at 12 i got started.

Car originally looked like this:
[Image: DSC03227.jpg]
[Image: DSC03228.jpg]
I know i know, silver hides the dirt pretty well, but the car was pretty grubby all round and covered in dust.
Started with the foam lance running the cheapie megs car wash:
[Image: DSC03232.jpg]
While that was dwelling i started on the wheels and arches with an assortment of OXO brushes and megs gold class as shampoo and Kleen Green for bad spots.
[Image: DSC03233.jpg]
Very dirty wheels, this is what my rinse bucket looked like:
[Image: DSC03234.jpg]
Car was then washed with gold class and a Schmitt then time to get it into the garage to clay:
[Image: DSC03236.jpg]
No action shots of that, but a suprising amount of gunk came off, including some blue crap from the back of the car (overspray?)
Outside again for another quick wash, also kleen greened the door shuts.
After the rinse i got out my Adams Waffle Weave towel, possibly my best purchase of the year so far, as you can see the thing is frikken huge, can it can dry a whole Range Rover (which was now holding tons of water) without wringing out once. Also used Adams detail spray to aid drying.
[Image: DSC03238.jpg]
[Image: DSC03239.jpg]
[Image: DSC03241.jpg]
Some swirl is present, will see how the other steps improve the paint.
This was pretty grubby and hard to clean:
[Image: DSC03242.jpg]
[Image: DSC03243.jpg]
Still couldnt get it 100% but looked alot better
On a silver car i think this is just about where you gonna stop seeing differences though the camera.
This was just before i quit for the day, DC1 the whole car, the DC2 the bonnet, stopped because of bad light.
[Image: DSC03248.jpg]
On the engine side i rinsed it with water and Kleen greened the greasy bits, sorry forgot about a before shot, the 303 everything and will let it stand overnight.
[Image: DSC03254.jpg]
Also here is a different 50/50 the underhood blanket looked very dusty, so a sprayed the left with some 303. Looked good for now, lets see how it hold up when it dries out:
[Image: DSC03252.jpg]

Anyways that enough for one day. Tomorrow i will finish the DC2 around the rest of the car. Then wax, trim and UQD.
Will keep you posted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Day 2
Also started around lunchtime. First went over the car with the california duster to get rid of anything that might have settled on the paint during the night.
Car was looking ok. Started to apply DC2 polish with a megs pad.
[Image: DSC03255.jpg]
The polish was really giving me a hard time. Was drying almost instantly and struggled to wipe it off. Then freerider sent me an email and gave me a good idea.
[Image: DSC03257.jpg]
That made me feel much better. For the smears and dry spots i used Adams detail spray which made quick work of the sticky polish. After the polishing was finished the car was looking like this:
[Image: DSC03259.jpg]
Nect step was megs NXT tech (1) wax went on nicely as always, then used a Adams microfiber to wipe off.
[Image: DSC03261.jpg]
[Image: DSC03262.jpg]
Refelection was started to look pretty good for a silver car:
[Image: DSC03264.jpg]
[Image: DSC03267.jpg]
The rest of the trim was then dressed with a Aerospace 303 or Megs gold class trim detailer, depending on the surface type and required finish. Also there is the engine after soaking in the 303:
[Image: DSC03268.jpg]
Also sprayed the rest of the bonnet blanket with 303. Its strange how the flash still picks up stain, beacause in real life it just looks black.
[Image: DSC03269.jpg]
Looking great, though it seems that the 303 did stain some black single stage paint in the engine bay. Will have to see if a polish and wax can sort that out.

Bonus Shot:
[Image: DSC03270.jpg]
Cleaned all the wheels with SwissVax Cleaner fluid and then applied SwissVax Autobahn by hand. End product looked great, with a great amount of shine and flake pop for a wheel.

Anyways im all out of light now, so will have to wait till tomorrow for the next coat of wax and UQD the lastly cleaning the glass and vacuuming the inside.
30-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Final Day
Started a little earlier today, around 10ish i think. Once again give the car a quick go with the califonia duster. Then went straight to applying another coat of NXT wax.
This time also did the wipers, black metal trim around the windows and some black metal in the engine that the 303 disagreed with.
[Image: DSC03271.jpg]
After that just did a quick tidy up inside with the california mini duster. Everything was pretty tidy though. Took out all the floor mates and sprayed down with Aerospace 303.
[Image: DSC03272.jpg]
Before:
[Image: DSC03274.jpg]
After:
[Image: DSC03276.jpg]
After this it was just finishing touches and a final coat of UQD.
Plastix on plastic lenses:
[Image: DSC03278.jpg]
Would love to have some shots of the car out in the sun but this happened:
[Image: DSC03281.jpg]
Anyways thats that car is done and finished.
[Image: DSC03283.jpg]

On a side note i applied UQD to one of the SwissVax'ed wheels. Feels smoother, will be interesting to see how its affects its ability to resist dust.
30-06-2008, 09:49 PM
RE: Range Rover Detail
Great work there, how is the Swissvax wheelwax holding out?

freerider AKA don

30-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Awesome stuff, brake dust just washes off with water. Makes you think how you survived before without wheel wax.
30-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I cant wait to try this sample of the smartwax rimwax and see how well it works

freerider AKA don

02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
freerider Wrote:I cant wait to try this sample of the smartwax rimwax and see how well it works

When will you be selling the wheel wax?
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
revo Wrote:
freerider Wrote:I cant wait to try this sample of the smartwax rimwax and see how well it works

When will you be selling the wheel wax?

pm sent

freerider AKA don

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lambchop - 135i Detail Lambchop 5 19,670 09-04-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  First detail BMW X3 - Black mommet 9 28,504 31-03-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  2010 E90 320i - Protection Detail andrewbuch 8 25,335 17-01-2012 01:55 PM