Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
My first attempt at proper detailing...
07-06-2010, 08:06 AM
My first attempt at proper detailing...
Morning all..the weather this past weekend in CT presented me with the ideal opportunity to put my new found knowledge and products to the test. Thanks to Carn for the products and thanks to everyone who has given input to my questions and for this fantastic forum, I am still learning and will continue to do so. My ST needed some TLC and this is how it went...havent done the interior yet but that will follow this coming weekend.

Basic outline of items used:
CG citrus wash and clear
Lambswool mitt
MF drying towel
Smartwax clay bar and CG Lube
AG SR polish
AG Gloss
MF towels and foam applicators

My box of goodies from Carn..
[Image: q3l2dnpq4qagg5o0db1l.jpg]

Includes:
[Image: 4q5dts0o5vlykq2g713s.jpg]
[Image: srfxfyfvfb1byld4ptp.jpg]

What lies ahead:
[Image: 160wdms8jbz5aiwl080z.jpg]
[Image: 0itmzhm87l9bvcsvh3b.jpg]
[Image: tev49ppgole897gxizdt.jpg]
[Image: bjo8n51i2m11gy9griy1.jpg]
[Image: swjvx5z6jgj4zfjummig.jpg]
[Image: gnr8wl4p861xlog1xadu.jpg]

Started with those dirty wheels. I used a mag cleaner I already had as I did not include that as part of my purchase from Carn. That is in the next list Carn, please make a note of that..Bluebiggrin After cleaning the wheels, washed the car using the 2BM, what a joy when I placed the mitt on the body, WOW!!! It felt like silk.
[Image: eug54azysuatr8exjre.jpg]
This is what she looked like after wash and hose down..
[Image: 4wil07cz2gf5nz34o3zf.jpg]
[Image: toz0zslzbk1k8bhjuh7y.jpg]
[Image: a90es23qpxp76ee1a4.jpg]
After giving her a dry I proceeded to using the clay bar for the first time ever. I seem to have forgotten to add those pictures but will add them later this week. The process was not as bad as I first thought but I must admit, the clay works like a BOMB! and judging by the contaminants that were present on the clay after using it, it was well worth it and definitely needed. I used most of my lube tho, is that normal or did I use too much?
After claying, proceeded to apply AG SRP:
[Image: xd06ye29omy5ezlra20b.jpg]
[Image: kdisk5gfaz03wm2904i.jpg]
[Image: cjlvzjfjurc6drfw0i7.jpg]
[Image: rymtehxnincq5jjcmdm_thumb.jpg]
SRP went on well and came off pretty easily as well. Cant say the same for the AG gloss, did i use too much or did I leave it on too long. Bottle said leave it on for 30 - 60 min.. I left it for 30. It came off but boy was I tired.The last pics were taken yesterday to see how everything held up. And then, just as took the last pic, it started to rain...Bawling
[Image: 42b5l7pefdjjc0yfj8fs.jpg]
[Image: i1qcg54f8r18cq5fnk.jpg]
[Image: bl5msx9uvoh6h3xvppb.jpg]
[Image: uej0xiydtczibtjg1so5.jpg]
[Image: vds0arjkbr6l80wbdrp.jpg]
Next week I will try the RG leather kit and the 303..!! Cant wait. Thanks for looking and any advice would be appreciated.
[Image: oleae6p12jhdl6uxawk2.jpg]
[Image: 32lwwlgkm31rkwqmu8j4.jpg]
[Image: mmx7wo5uxfc7gfnws3b3.jpg]
[Image: 05qb8x2txywps46nno9.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2010, 08:37 AM
RE: My first attempt at proper detailing...
Lovely list of goodies there Torres1 ... car came out nicely Thumbsup2

did you apply everything by hand ? AG SRP, etc???

Yeah the weather in CPT not soo great lately to have all your hard work rained on the next day ... Bawling
but atleast you can sleep easy ... knowing your paint is nice and clean after being clayed, polished and covered with a nice sealant/wax! ...

Awesome job bro !!! Clap
07-06-2010, 08:51 AM
(07-06-2010 08:37 AM)Jughead Wrote:  Lovely list of goodies there Torres1 ... car came out nicely Thumbsup2

did you apply everything by hand ? AG SRP, etc???

Yeah the weather in CPT not soo great lately to have all your hard work rained on the next day ... Bawling
but atleast you can sleep easy ... knowing your paint is nice and clean after being clayed, polished and covered with a nice sealant/wax! ...

Awesome job bro !!! Clap

Thanks Jughead. Yep, everything by hand, the machine will have to wait till summer along with the high pressure hose, although that might come sooner if the missus is convinced..Bluebiggrin
07-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Good work man, cars looking hot!!!! PB is DEF the best Ford colour!!!! ClapClapClap
07-06-2010, 09:14 AM
(07-06-2010 08:57 AM)Wayno Wrote:  Good work man, cars looking hot!!!! PB is DEF the best Ford colour!!!! ClapClapClap

Thanks Wayno..!!
07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Good work... Clap
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Nicely done Torres!

SRP followed by EGP is a great combo Thumbsup2

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Good job

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
07-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Nicely done Curwin, the blue looks awesome Thumb

The trick with EGP is to apply it very, very evenly and thinly. Haven't had any issues removing it in the past but it has been quite some time since I have used it...

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Nice work, and a good haul of goodies
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Good Job!!Look after the washmitt.
07-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Can really see the difference. Well done.
08-06-2010, 07:54 AM
(07-06-2010 06:39 PM)Carn Wrote:  Nicely done Curwin, the blue looks awesome Thumb

The trick with EGP is to apply it very, very evenly and thinly. Haven't had any issues removing it in the past but it has been quite some time since I have used it...

Thanks David. Had that in the back of my mind while I was applying it but I guess I could have done better. Will put that at the forefront of my mind next time...LOL!!!

About the Lube, I used quite a bit during the clay process as I've read on quite a few detailing sites that one of the most common reasons why people avoid claying or end up causing more damage is due to insufficient lube. So I just kept lubing it up and lubing it up..!Clap
08-06-2010, 05:58 PM
(08-06-2010 07:54 AM)Torres1 Wrote:  About the Lube, I used quite a bit during the clay process as I've read on quite a few detailing sites that one of the most common reasons why people avoid claying or end up causing more damage is due to insufficient lube. So I just kept lubing it up and lubing it up..!Clap

I can quite easily go through 500ml's of QD or shampoo solution when claying Icon9

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Nice work Torres, love that Blue on the ST.
Here is a pic of one I did a while back... Was so nice to see that one out in the sun after.

[Image: DSC09169.jpg]
21-07-2010, 03:58 PM
(21-07-2010 12:30 PM)UltimateShine Wrote:  Nice work Torres, love that Blue on the ST.
Here is a pic of one I did a while back... Was so nice to see that one out in the sun after.

[Image: DSC09169.jpg]

thanks US...i know that ST, he is part of the ST club in CT, stunning looking vehicle.
22-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I did my first claying + SRP + EGP this past weekend and also wound up finishing 500ml of lubricant. I'm sure experience will improve things, so that one learns when more spray is needed.

Regarding the EGP, I left it on for an hour till it hazed a little and then buffed off with no issues. Well, except for being really *moeg* from the day's efforts. Perhaps in CPT with some humidity in the air, the EGP should be left on for a bit more than 30min though? Did you do the finger-tip test before buffing?

Also, I made sure I only squirted approx 1 teaspoonful on the MF cloth at a time and then passed over the area a few times in an effort to spread the layer thinly. Seemed to work well for me
22-07-2010, 01:19 PM
(22-07-2010 11:03 AM)flarkitwo Wrote:  I did my first claying + SRP + EGP this past weekend and also wound up finishing 500ml of lubricant. I'm sure experience will improve things, so that one learns when more spray is needed.

Regarding the EGP, I left it on for an hour till it hazed a little and then buffed off with no issues. Well, except for being really *moeg* from the day's efforts. Perhaps in CPT with some humidity in the air, the EGP should be left on for a bit more than 30min though? Did you do the finger-tip test before buffing?

Also, I made sure I only squirted approx 1 teaspoonful on the MF cloth at a time and then passed over the area a few times in an effort to spread the layer thinly. Seemed to work well for me

To be honest I did not do the finger test and it was pretty humid that day. Will look to leave it on longer next time. I try to remember the rule, less is more when it comes to quality products.

I applied mine with a foam applicator and buffed with the MF. I was also very "moeg"! LOL!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andrewbuch's E46 318i - Detailing thread andrewbuch 17 48,407 13-12-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch
  318i Paint Correction - First Attempt Sankekur 9 27,989 03-09-2011 10:19 AM
Last Post: springbok
  Some lazy/rushed detailing Razortjie 4 13,338 29-08-2011 07:11 AM
Last Post: Carn