Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.5 Average
My Meguiars detailing class experience
29-08-2010, 09:33 AM
My Meguiars detailing class experience
Hello all - time flew by and before I knew what had happened, my US trip was over. Arrived back in SA last night after a few long flights. I'm happy to see my wife and daughters again, but I would really have liked to spend some more time in the US.

The detailing classes in the US are awesome. The facilities are great, the content is good and there's a big detailing market to cater to (the donuts and pizza are also really good). The day starts at 08h00 with an informal meet 'n greet over some coffee and donuts, with the official agenda kicking off at 08h30. The morning session is taken up by a theory class, which starts off with a brief history of Meguiars and then goes on to cover the 5-step paint care cycle. A short break for lunch (with pizza and cold drinks provided) is followed by the practical part of the class. Mike checks out the cars in the parking area and then invites one of the attendees to pull their car into the workshop area to serve as the test mule for the day. The practical section then concentrates on claying, polishing (hand and DA) and waxing methods. The class officially ends 15h00, but we stuck around and chatted a bit until about 16h00.

Some photos:

Arriving at the Head Office

[Image: 4a4e7370.jpg]

[Image: 4a47f99c.jpg]

Some of the attendees' cars

[Image: 5540686c.jpg]

[Image: 6c6efef8.jpg]

[Image: 1855c920.jpg]

The classroom

[Image: 780dca4c.jpg]

[Image: 9fddc2a0.jpg]

[Image: d6955653.jpg]

[Image: 78e71dd5.jpg]

The workshop

[Image: bbc8a048.jpg]

[Image: 7f10623e.jpg]

[Image: 694cc80d.jpg]

The test mule for the day - a C6 Corvette

[Image: 2e3a016b.jpg]

Getting practical

[Image: 074c429d.jpg]

[Image: adf2b605.jpg]

[Image: 2bbd1f5f.jpg]

[Image: 4aecb305.jpg]

Working an etching from a bird dropping

[Image: IMG_0059.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0054.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0067.jpg]

Some Meguiars bling

[Image: 3770a084.jpg]

After a day's detailing, it's off to relax

[Image: a859fd40.jpg]

[Image: ca58fc30.jpg]

Where I found my own spot

[Image: IMG_0089.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2010, 04:17 PM
RE: My Meguiars detailing class experience
Welcome back Woodie. Good on you mate.
29-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks like you had a great time. Welcome back Thumb

Tell us more about the Meg's classes!

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2010, 09:14 PM
welcome back Woody! glad you had a great time.
29-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice one.
The classes aimed more at the enthusiast, or dedicated detailer? Did you learn much?
30-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Welcom back mate!! Show us what you've learnt
30-08-2010, 07:05 AM
(29-08-2010 04:30 PM)Carn Wrote:  Tell us more about the Meg's classes!

(29-08-2010 09:21 PM)calypso Wrote:  The classes aimed more at the enthusiast, or dedicated detailer? Did you learn much?

Meguiars hosts 3 different types of activities at their H/O - Saturday Detailing Class, Thursday Night Open Garage and Advanced Detailing Class.

The Saturday Class (the one I attended) is aimed at anyone from complete newbies to detailing enthusiasts. The amount you learn and take out of the class is dependent upon your skill level at the start of the class. I must admit that I didn't learn much new, but I knew this would be the case before making the trip. The course covers washing, claying, polishing, waxing and maintaining steps, with additional sections covering wheel and interior care. There were some valuable tidbits I picked up in general conversation during the course of the day, but my main aim was to experience the class and how it's run so that I could come home armed with the knowledge and experience to try and get the local version off the ground.

The Advanced Class would have been a great one to attend, but they take place less frequently and are conditional upon having attended one of the normal Saturday classes first. These classes are usually oversubscribed and attendance is determined by an electronic lottery - only 12-18 places are available for each class as opposed to 35 places for the standard class. Topics covered include damp sanding, wet sanding, rotary polishing and use of pneumatic tools (DA & Rotary).

The Thursday Night Open Garage (TNOG) sessions are really great. These are more informal sessions where guys who have attended a Saturday session and have specific issues are able to bring their cars in to have the Meguiars guys look at them and recommend what action would be best to rectify the issues. The class is literally an 'open garage' as everyone in attendance has access to the garage and the contents of the cupboards and can try out/use any of the Meguiars products - and believe me, the full range is available. Detailer Line, Professional Line, Consumer Line, clays, pads, microfibre cloths - I mean everything. And to top it off, pizza and cold drinks are part of the deal.

I'm going to have to have a word with Greg about the lack of comparable activities on the local scene.
30-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome back Woodie

Wow!!! Looks like an amazing experience !!!! Excited

Can't wait for the local one to get off the ground ... Thumbsup2

How was Disney? Bluebiggrin
30-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Welcome back dude...
30-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Welcome back Woodie... Thanks for sharing! Thumbsup2

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
30-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Welcome back and looks like you had a blast.
30-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Welcome back Sean and glad you enjoyed it, but why did you send me Meguairs to hospital?

If i may ask, whats the pricing like for a trip of this sort

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
31-08-2010, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2010 07:31 AM by Woodie.)
(30-08-2010 08:12 AM)Jughead Wrote:  How was Disney? Bluebiggrin

Disney was fun Bluebiggrin - as were the other touristy activities. I will post up a separate thread of the non-detailing side of my trip.

(30-08-2010 01:35 PM)dood786 Wrote:  Welcome back Sean and glad you enjoyed it, but why did you send me Meguairs to hospital?

Not guilty - he picked up a virus while visiting New Zealand and was in hospital before I even arrived.

(30-08-2010 01:35 PM)dood786 Wrote:  If i may ask, whats the pricing like for a trip of this sort

Flights, accommodation & car rental set me back about R16k.
31-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Welcome back! Looks like a nice experience.

That garage Drool - just became the new specification for my new house Bluebiggrin

Amazing to see the "older" folk attending! At 36, I normally have sore muscles for a week after a proper detail. Can't imagine that I will be able to detail after 50! Thinking Bluebiggrin
31-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Ah good alibi

Thats a decent cost, wish i could do it sometime

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 5 14,800 24-10-2011 06:51 PM
Last Post: gabrialboy
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 0 5,177 14-10-2011 09:35 AM
Last Post: MR.BANTAM
  Megs QD to the rescue! (not exactly Detailing related) Audioholic 2 8,728 03-05-2011 11:15 AM
Last Post: Audioholic