Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
E36 M3 Detail
30-06-2008, 10:02 PM
E36 M3 Detail
OK i pretty much spent the most of my weekend working on my car. Started friday afternoon and finished on Monday night.
Steps and processes:
Wash
Clay
Wash
DC1
Scratch X (just on some bad spots)
DC2
NXT Wax x 2
UQD x 2
Endurance tire gel
Gold class trim detailer
Hot Wheels spray
Plastix

Clay was interesting, it was the first time i have used it, and i really thought they i would have pulled more gunk out of the paint, but even now, its car to tell which half of the claybar i used because the old one is just about at clean as the new one. There was a little more dirt on the panels closer to the ground, but it did wonders for the smoothness of the paint.
Scratch X - Didnt really work out, i got one of those dud bottles and drops of water were even coming out of it, so will have to leave that for another time.
UQD - I dunno what these guys on MOL are on about that when they come back after the 12 hours curing time the car is looking shinier than before. Looks pretty much the same to me as when i put it on and wiped it off. Anyways i like the stuff and the hydrophobic properties. Wanna test it out now that i put 2 coats on but i cant bring myself to wet the surface.
Engine - Just wiped it down, nothing exciting here so im not gonna bother with a pic. Waiting for a new product to arrive and test.
Interior - Also just a good vacuum and wipe down. All surfaces still look good from the Dash and Trim foam i applied 2-3 months ago. Will do some back shoe polish on the leather bits later.

Anyways here are the after pics, didnt take before ones because i was lazy, but no was for 3 weeks, meant the car was filthy.
I really cant tell in the pics if the 4 day detail did any better then a good wash, silver is so unforgiving to the effort you put in. But in person it looks, and especially feels alot better.
On the down side, there still is a little swirl on the roof and boot dunno why just those places, but it is vastly improved compared to what it used to be.
Lighting isnt great because i had to take this pics quickly at 8 before i went to work.
Let me know what you guys think.

[Image: 20080122Alexis7.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis6.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis5.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis4.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis3.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis2.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis1.jpg]
[Image: 20080122Alexis.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2008, 10:21 PM
RE: E36 M3 Detail
Wow thats one seriously neat e36! Is that still the 5 speed?

freerider AKA don

30-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I remember that one!

That's a seriously classic and beaut BM.

Calypso also has a seriously neat gardenWink
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
HAHA, just been reading through old threads.....

Calypso's first detail with clay Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Just over a year ago, was like a virgin Tongue
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey Calypso,

Thats a beaut of a german beast.
Love the car and it looks spotless.Solid work hey. How did you find the Nxt x 2 bit? What was your curing time for the first layer?
Im not a fan of shoe polish on Leather bits. Why dont you try the Megs GC Leather Cleaner and conditioner, or the Smart Wax Leather? I tried it and it cleans well hey.
I agree with silver being a very unforgiving colour but your car really looks show romm condition. Well done!

By the way, if you wanting to sell, give me a shout :-)
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks, all the leather on this car is probably not much bigger than my 2 hands, so have not had a reason to get a dedicated leather cleaner/conditioner yet. The gearknob does discolour with use but the black liquid shoe polish does put it right.
NXT is not bad stuff but I have moved onto bigger and better things. The finish was not bad, but in hindsight the cleaners in the NXT made layering it pretty pointless. And the DC2 glaze was properly not the best thing for it to adhere to either, but it did the job at the time, and gave good shine, just the durability is not too hot.

Also this is a great demonstration of trick photography, my car was swirled to death in all these pics.

Oh and everything is always for sale if the price is right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lambchop - 135i Detail Lambchop 5 19,667 09-04-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  First detail BMW X3 - Black mommet 9 28,499 31-03-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: kripstoe
  2010 E90 320i - Protection Detail andrewbuch 8 25,333 17-01-2012 01:55 PM
Last Post: andrewbuch