Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Hello and Hi to ALL
17-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello and Hi to ALL
I'm a newby here, i came across your site by chance doin a little research on takin care of my car.

I drive Black 2006 Corsa GSI, love the car

but one thing that disappointment is that i dn't knw how to take care of it in terms of body cleanin it and protectin it properly, sure i do wash it twice a month alteast, but still dn't feel i'm really takin good care of the body, leather interior, Mag wheels etc,

i really need some good advice and list of really good products that will not harm the car exterior or interior look but enhance and protect both.

will really appreciate any assistance, i'm based in Pretoria.

thankin you inadvance guys!!! Pls help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2010, 01:15 PM
RE: Hello and Hi to ALL
Welcome Vortex.

You have stumbled upon a mountain of advice, information and product availability. I'm still learning the trade but the fundi's will give you all the help you need. enjoy the journey.
18-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Welcome Vortex, I am sure Carn will give you all the Advice and Products needed... And he will be able to supply you with most of what you need.

[Image: UltimateShine-Banner-2.jpg]
Vincent West
Cell : 078 457 2137
http://www.ultimateshine.co.za
18-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Welcome Vortex!

A good place to start is to read through the different sections within the forum
Yes it'll be info overload but you'll pick up the basics (2BM - 2 bucket method etc)

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
18-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Welcome Vortex. You have indeed landed in the correct place and will learn a lot about how to take care of your car as I have found out.
18-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Welcome

[Image: go4g43it2wi6u6xpewca-1.jpg]
18-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Welcome Vortex...Feel free to fire away with the questions Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you guys for a warm welcome:

To all the guru's , can someone basically brake it down simple for someone who's not
realy big when it comes to car products

washing:Best product to use

after wash what to apply for body protection:

wheels and RIMS what to use:

lastly the leather interior:

i will really appreciate any form of feedback under the headings above
i jus need all the right product for the above tasks.

Thankin you all
22-11-2010, 07:28 AM
(19-11-2010 11:50 AM)Vortex Wrote:  washing:Best product to use

Just my 2c, as an enthusiast (not a guru ): it really depends on your needs at the time. For regular weekly washing, most decent shampoos should do the trick, from Sonax Gloss to Meguiar's Gold Class (which are available at Builder's Warehouse and Makro) to the lesser-known brands like Autoglym, Chemical Guys and Mothers.

It's also important to get your technique right, using a safe wash-mitt or microfiber product with the 2-bucket method.

Body protection is a very general term for what-can-be a complex process involving polishing, sealing and waxing. A basic, regular routine would point to washing and waxing, for which there are dozens and dozens of products which one can experiment with. It depends on your own inclination and the paint colour. A solid option would be Collinite Super Doublecoat 476s (paste) or Liquid Insulator 845, but they're generally only applied on a 2 or 3 monthly basis and then topped up with something like a liquid carnauba product on a monthly basis.

As a starter, I'd be tempted to point out Meguiar's Gold Class range, unless you're interested in exploring the many ranges and products which the detailing gurus play with Bluebiggrin

For filthy rims, Sonax Xtreme Full Effect is decent although care must be taken with unpainted brake calipers. Once a month I use Smartwax Rim wax for protection and then just the weekly wash/dry.
22-11-2010, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2010 12:23 PM by Vortex.)
(22-11-2010 07:28 AM)flarkitwo Wrote:  

Just my 2c, as an enthusiast (not a guru ): it really depends on your needs at the time. For regular weekly washing, most decent shampoos should do the trick, from Sonax Gloss to Meguiar's Gold Class (which are available at Builder's Warehouse and Makro) to the lesser-known brands like Autoglym, Chemical Guys and Mothers.

It's also important to get your technique right, using a safe wash-mitt or microfiber product with the 2-bucket method.

Body protection is a very general term for what-can-be a complex process involving polishing, sealing and waxing. A basic, regular routine would point to washing and waxing, for which there are dozens and dozens of products which one can experiment with. It depends on your own inclination and the paint colour. A solid option would be Collinite Super Doublecoat 476s (paste) or Liquid Insulator 845, but they're generally only applied on a 2 or 3 monthly basis and then topped up with something like a liquid carnauba product on a monthly basis.

As a starter, I'd be tempted to point out Meguiar's Gold Class range, unless you're interested in exploring the many ranges and products which the detailing gurus play with Bluebiggrin

For filthy rims, Sonax Xtreme Full Effect is decent although care must be taken with unpainted brake calipers. Once a month I use Smartwax Rim wax for protection and then just the weekly wash/dry.

Thanks alot man! will try your recommendations

Thanks again
22-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome Vortex..loads of info and help on the forums. One question though, I am moving to Pta soon, to all the guys based up there, how do you keep your car clean when there is the threat of rain on an almost daily basis??
22-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Depends what you are wanting to achieve. If you're wanting to strip all the gunk from the surface in order to prepare for a fresh application of your LSP (Last Step Product ie wax/sealant) then washing with a strong mix of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and APC (All Purpose Cleaner) would be what I would recommend.

If it is intended for routine maintenance then something like either CG's Maxi's Suds or some Carways Supreme Shampoo would be a nice choice.

Both of the above products are available in bulk sizes (gal for CG's and 5lt for Carways), which will save you $$$ in the long run.

(19-11-2010 11:50 AM)Vortex Wrote:  after wash what to apply for body protection:

For protection, or the LSP as most detailers refer to it, you have 2 options namely sealant or wax. Sealants are typically synthetic in nature whilst most waxes are natural/organic. I generally opt for sealants on lighter colours whilst prefering a wax on the darker shades.

Durability will vary according to the specific product, but both options have stellar competitors to choose from.

An easy to use, affordable and durable option would be Collinite's 845 liquid insulator wax. They are available in 476ml bottles @ R155 iirc and should provide your paintwork with upwards of 4 months durability in local, summer conditions.

As far as sealants go Chemical Guys M-Seal is about the best budget option available and is only marginally more expensive @ around R180 for 500ml.

As with the everything detailing related, there are literally hundreds of products to choose from according to your budget.

(19-11-2010 11:50 AM)Vortex Wrote:  wheels and RIMS what to use:

2 Options spring to mind. Sonax Extreme rim cleaner for poorly maintained wheels, or something like Chemical Guys Diablo (dilutable) for regular maintenance.

For tires I prefer the Wheelwax Extreme Black dressing which leaves a new tire type finish (satin finish). If your wanting maximum shine then something like MEguiars Endurance Gel is a good choice.

(19-11-2010 11:50 AM)Vortex Wrote:  lastly the leather interior:

Again depending on your specific vehicle (cloth/leather, etc) there are alot of options.

For dressing the trim (plastics) something like 303 Aerospace Protectant is nice, whilst for leathers and fabrics there are numerous products available. If you can be a bit more specific in terms of your vehicle/s and budget I can give you some more suitable options and recommendations Thumb

Hope that helps

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Welcome
23-11-2010, 08:12 AM
(22-11-2010 02:01 PM)Torres1 Wrote:  Welcome Vortex..loads of info and help on the forums. One question though, I am moving to Pta soon, to all the guys based up there, how do you keep your car clean when there is the threat of rain on an almost daily basis??

I wash every weekend if possible and pray for the rest of the time Iono

Basically learn to live with the fact that it'll rain. If you're in the Western Cape, the same applies from April to October, right?
23-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Welcome to Waxon Vortex ... Wavey
You 're in good hands here .. the guru's provides some invaluable tips here ...
23-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice info guys, short time in here i have learned alot...
this upcoming weekedn i'm goin "product hunting"
than i'll start applyin knowledge i have gained.
24-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Cool, now kiss your free time and spare cash goodbye, matey. If the bug bites, you'll only come up for air once you own 20 high-quality plush MF towels, 2 different car shampoos, tyre dressing, trim protectant, glass cleaner, 2 polishes, 3 different waxes, a dozen applicator pads, spray-bottles, several liters of all-purpose cleaner, plus extra shelving and plastic containers to hold it all.

Oh, and did anyone mention dual-action/rotary yet?

Big Grin

Enjoy!