Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
Mobile-Image : Golf IV vs Menzerna - Part 1
03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Cool Mobile-Image : Golf IV vs Menzerna - Part 1
So after recieving the Menzerna IP and 106FA samples from Freerider on Friday, myself and Rustbucket decided to put the 2 through their paces. The test subject for the day would be my brothers Golf IV. His car is black magic metallic and is in a pretty sad state as far as the paint is concerend, lots of swirls, RDS and acid etchings from bird bombs. I'll let these few quick before snaps do the talking.....

[Image: DSC00006.jpg]
[Image: DSC00002.jpg]
[Image: DSC00003.jpg]

We had planned for him to arrive early this morning and do the whole car but considering he went to watch the Lions rubgy game at Ellis park yesterday evening, it was no surprise he only arrived just after 11 Rofl

After spending the better part of 3 hours washing the rims as well as the rest of the car, we were left with only enough time to test the 2 polishes on the bonnet.

First up the IP on the white LC pad. We didn't have quite the result we were hoping for with the IP and were left scratching our heads a little bit. For the moment we have put it down to bad technique & inexperience with the product and pad (both being new to us). With the techniques we tried and a few small adjustments we made with the FA, we are confident we will find the right combination to get the IP working as it should.

On to the 106FA......What a revelation ! After trying a different priming technique to the IP and some adjustments whilst working the polish we were both astounded. It was able to be worked forever and felt smooth as butter (we managed some one handed rotary action for a few passes Bluebiggrin ) No funny antics from the buffer, no issues aside from a clogged pad (operator error) and only the slightest amount of dusting. This stuff is hands down my favourite polish of all time and I am sure Rusty would agree with me Clap

After a few patches with a single pass of IP we finished the entire bonnet with a single pass of 106FA and gave it a quick wipe down. Here are a couple of the before and after shots we managed to snap before the sun disappeared over the horizon.

Here is the bonnet before :
[Image: DSC00001.jpg]
[Image: DSC00004.jpg]
[Image: DSC00005.jpg]

And from similar angles again after :
[Image: DSC00013.jpg]
[Image: DSC00011.jpg]
[Image: DSC00010.jpg]

Excuse the spatter on that last one, that was from our initial attempt with the IP and some quick detailer Bluebiggrin

We also taped up a 40cm x 40cm square patch on the door to do a 50/50 test with a single pass of 106FA again on the white LC pad.

[Image: DSC00009.jpg]
[Image: DSC00008.jpg]

After these shots the car was given a quick wipedown and some wax by which time it was dark so unfortunately no finished pics of the polished bits with LSP Uhoh2

Overall we were very impressed with the Menzerna despite our lack of success with the IP. We will have another go at it with the technique we found very succesfull with the FA and report back. For now however I have to give the Menzerna 106FA a 10 out of 10, a truly fantastic product I think every serious detailer has to have in their arsenal Thumbsup2

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
RE: Black magic Golf IV vs Menzerna
1 handed rotary!!!! Icon_jaw

I cant believe the results you got with FA Excited I wonder if I could get similar results with the DA? I havent even tried FA for swirl removal because it is a finishing polish Bluebiggrin

WRT the IP, I use very much the same technique with the FA as I do with the IP and it seems to work very well, Lots of Adams Quick Detailer to begin with and then let it dry as the polish works down

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow really amazing results. The black car really shows off the Menz quality. I cant wait to get my hands on mine.
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh yes Mr. Don. ONE handed rotry pass.

I really want to get to work that IP without quick detailer. I just makes too much splatter and makes it so much harder to clean up.
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Excuse the noob questions, but what are you referring to when you say IP, FA, LSP and LC pad.

[Image: S5000826ccopy.jpg]
05-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi Sash,

The IP and FA refer to Menzerna polishes. The IP is a more aggressive polish whilst the FA is an all rounder of sorts. The FA won't cut as much as the IP but finishes down very much like a dedicated finishing polish.

LSP is an acronym for Last Step Process or Last Step Product, basically refers to your wax or sealant you finish the vehicles paint with. LC is a shortened name of the company that makes the pads, their full name is Lake Country Pad Mfg Co Wink

Hope that all makes sense, if not I will try to explain in more detail. You will come across alot of acronyms on the various detailing forums, you can refer to this thread where we list the most commonly used ones Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za

05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Okey.... thats what I need to do to all of my cars..... What machine you use? where can I get these samples??

I neeeeeeeeed!!!!

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck
05-08-2008, 03:00 PM
The car was done with a rotary and white LC pad. Samples were purchased from Freerider, you can find all the info in the samples section Wink

www.mobileimage.co.za

05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Let us know when you get cracking on one of your cars Graham. Sure Carn and I could meet up with you to go through some of the processes.
05-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh, don't vorry, I vill be calling joo... Waiting for the golf to come back from Koni.... Bluebiggrin

'84 VW Golf MK II 2.0 16vt GTI (Project)
'99 VW Golf MK IV 2.0 8vt (Boost is done, sound to go in)
'08 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 Supercab (Daily ox wagon)
'04 BMW 318ti
'01 Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI
couple of delivery vans and a truck
05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I just love that 50/50 of the door with the sun shining on it. Says it all.
06-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Great work guys! That is a nice job and I too like the 50/50 of the door. Menzerna does make some fine polishes. Just always make sure you have a back up polish because depending on weather Menzerna can act finicky.

[Image: JLsDetailingavatar-7-3.jpg]
http://www.jlsdetailing.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mobile-Image : Ingolstadt's finest... Carn 22 170,361 03-08-2011 01:11 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : 25 hours with a Z4 ///M Carn 21 64,395 22-03-2011 06:14 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Mobile Image : On the front cover... Carn 15 45,088 13-03-2011 06:01 PM
Last Post: Torres1