Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help needed - Interior detailing
19-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Help needed - Interior detailing
Hi all,

A friend of mine recieved his 2006 MKV Jetta 1.9tdi, however, the cheap dealer did not send the car for a clean up, let alone detail. It has a light grey and black two tone interior and the light greay plastics and carpets, as well as the seats were very dirty, we tackled the plastics with APC and soe toothbrushes and the seats with his Small Bissel machine. The machine works a treat, but that is his, I do not have one. So my question is, what to do if you are in my predicement? I do not have the funds to purchase such a machine, but still want to do a proper interior cleanup if needed.

I do however have a regular hoover vacuum cleaner, would this graft if I scrubed the interior with the needed products, and then suck it all up with that?

Wouter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2011, 02:40 PM
RE: Help needed - Interior detailing
1. To hand clean carpet and upholstery

A heated carpet extractor is going to work much better than a shop wet-vac. You should be able to find a place in your area that rents these machines by the day. Cleaning interiors by hand is a labour intensive and time-consuming process.

• Before vacuuming use a stiff brush to loosen any debris as a regular vacuum can leave contaminants behind attached to the fibres
• Use a rubber bristle brush to go over the carpet material to raise the fibres
•Vacuum area very thoroughly (Metro Vac N' Blo®) to lift all the loose dirt from the carpet
•Remove any stains with a ‘spot’ remover (303™ Spot Remover & Cleaner)
•Spot treat really bad stains (303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam)
•Use a pre-cleaner solution, 10:1 distilled hot water/ P21S® Total Auto Wash, let solution remain in place for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
•After sufficient remain in place time agitate pre cleaner solution with an upholstery brush to ‘friction scrub’ surfaces
•Mist spray surfaces with hot water
•Brush the carpet to raise the nap and loosen ground in dirt
•Remove the excess moisture, using cotton terry towels to blot the moisture, repeat until towels are ‘clean’ or use a Wet/Dry vacuum (preferably a carpet extractor system) and allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use
•Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303™ High Tech Fabric Guard)[/i]

2. Using an orbital buffer (with a brush attachment)
• Use a rubber bristle brush to go over the carpet material to raise the fibres
• Use a rubber bristle brush to go over the caret material to raise the fibres
• Vacuum area very thoroughly (Metro Vac N' Blo®) to lift all the loose dirt from the carpet
• Remove any stains with 303™ Spot Remover & Cleaner
• Spot treat really bad stains (303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover)
• Use a pre-cleaner solution, 10:1 distilled hot water/ Hoover Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet) let solution remain in place for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
• Agitate surfaces with a random orbital buffer (speed #4) and brush attachment, scrub carpet / fabric upholstery
• Mist spray surfaces with hot water
• Attach a terry-cloth bonnet and go over areas, changing the bonnets frequently
• Use a rubber bristle brush to go over the material to raise the fibres
• Remove the excess moisture, using a Wet/Dry vacuum or a carpet extractor in one direction only, do not scrub, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use
• Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303™ High Tech Fabric Guard)

Note: Use the hottest water available it also helps to pre-spray the carpet with hot water when hand cleaning carpets / mats [i]

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
19-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow, thats a lot of info, thanks for the write up. I know I need to get a proper extractor, will def save up for one.

Thanx for the help, much appriciated.

Wouter
20-04-2011, 01:20 PM
(19-04-2011 04:04 PM)katotter Wrote:  Wow, thats a lot of info, thanks for the write up. I know I need to get a proper extractor, will def save up for one.

Thanx for the help, much appriciated.

Glad to be of some help

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
21-04-2011, 10:36 AM
1+ Thumb for what Togwt told you. especially your APC diluted with hottest water. This will do a very very fine job. But plz do protect your eyes.

I did my first interior using a local (ordinary) MPC diluted with hot water, a shoe brush and some rag towels, (didn't have any vac then) the results came out very nice.

To give you an idea, here are some pics.

[Image: nzecleaned.jpg]

[Image: nzedashafter.jpg]

[Image: nzecleanedhdliner.jpg]

[Image: nzedoorafter.jpg]

You have a vac, i'm sure you'll have a much better outcome than mine.

BTW now, i'm using a vapor steamer. It complements the vac, with the advantage of using minimal water.

Thanks again Togwt, you have given all the info.

Take care Wavey
21-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks a lot you guys, it helps me knowing that some result can be achieved without the expensive machines.

Any body else out there using the non extractor machine method? Please share.

Wouter
21-04-2011, 11:49 AM
One word though Thinking

Start with the headliner first. work your way in a top-down approach. You won't have to re-clean parts you've already worked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 5 14,790 24-10-2011 06:51 PM
Last Post: gabrialboy
Toungue Interior cleaning the fast way STaX 3 10,834 19-10-2011 09:11 PM
Last Post: Lambchop
  Detailing brush MR.BANTAM 0 5,171 14-10-2011 09:35 AM
Last Post: MR.BANTAM