Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Resurrecting an old friend...
08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Resurrecting an old friend...
I have an old friend. He has been with me through some pretty tough times, and always seen me through, sometimes a bit worse for wear, but never complaining.

As such I have as yet been unable to relegate him to storage or (god forbid) the trash.

He is my old trusty matt black leather jacket. My wife hates him more that she hate Juli-ass Malema. Which makes sense, since every man must have an article of clothing that he covets and his wife loathes.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to 'detail' this old jacket to maybe a fraction of its former glory.

It is matt black (not shiny leather at all, which I think means it never did have a protective layer on it), and is currently looking old, scuffed and a little bit sad.

Herewith photies:
old faithful
Old Faithful

scuffed elbows
Scuffed elbows

close up
Up close

So what would you guys suggest?

I have some Autoglym leather cleaner on the way, as well as Collinite 855 , will these work?

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 07:54 PM
RE: Resurrecting an old friend...
The 855 should do the job nicely and yes, a light cleaning with the leather cleaner should bring some life back into that jacket.
A bit of warm water with the leather cleaner and a soft brush would make short work of any dirt on it.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
08-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanx Stax.

So first the Leather cleaner warm water solution, let the jacket dry and follow up with the 855?

Do I leave the 855 to soak in and then buff off?

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
09-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes, let the jacket dry before putting the 855 on and then let the 855 dry before buffing off. Put another coat on if you want.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]