Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Noob in die need of advise
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Noob in die need of advise
So eventualy I saved up some bucks to get some products from CD. I got some Menzerna, power gloss, sip, ip, final finish and CD clay and lube, super vrt, and colli 845.

I have the stomach flu and do not feel too good, but had to try my products out.

I strapped in the G220 (thanx sean) with a flexipad blue pad, primed it with sip and did a few passes, did not see much of an improvement so decided to step it up with power gloss. That made a difference but still not good, took out the hard white flexipad pad, with power gloss, this yielded the best result out off all of them, it got rid of the swirls and some fine scratches, but the hard water sopts and bird drop marks remained.

I did the roof only as my power deteriorated quickly with the flu, after the compounding I wiped it all down with ipa, and applied the colli 845.

What am I doing wrong? Am I not using enough product, not enough passes, not cleaning the pad enough? I know I am doing something wrong, but do not know what. I need the pros to give some advise, any advise will help.

I am posting this with my blackberry so no pics, but I will post some mondayM

Thank you

Wouter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2011, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2011 05:14 PM by zckid.)
RE: Noob in die need of advise
Hi wouter Wavey

Take care of yourself first. hope you get well very soon. Thumb

It'll then be easy to tackle the car.
btw, you can try wetsanding it using the finest grit, without being aggressive as you already know where the defects are. it'll be fine
12-06-2011, 12:51 PM
(11-06-2011 05:12 PM)zckid Wrote:  Hi wouter Wavey

Take care of yourself first. hope you get well very soon. Thumb

It'll then be easy to tackle the car.
btw, you can try wetsanding it using the finest grit, without being aggressive as you already know where the defects are. it'll be fine

RE: Noob in dire need of rest

Get well first as zckid suggested and then....

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
13-06-2011, 01:21 PM
my advice: sleeeep Bluebiggrin

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
28-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Good day Guys,

You would no believe it, but today is the first day that I am feeling bette, I had something that was in the air, ten my baba had it, then my wife got, and she gave it back to me just as I wag getting better.

However I did do some regular cleaning up and mantenenace on my car. I did a compund and wax on the trunk of my car, and I must say I am much happier with the results I got from it, no swrls some minor RIDS gone and a great reflection all together. I am not impressed with the CD clay kit they sell, had to do a few passes with it to get the desired result. I used the Power Gloss and the SIP on a hard and medium pad, LSP is 845 again, worked a treat!

This past weekend I just did a enjin bay wash and dress an dressed all the exterior trim and rubbers with Adams Super VRT, that is the best dressing I've seen and used by far!

Once again no pictures as I'm posting from my Blackberry, the landline internet is too slow to do anything on, but they will be posted as soon as Telkom wakes up and fix our lines!

Wouter
28-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Welcome back Wouter, glad to hear you're feeling better. Looking forward to the pics.
28-06-2011, 07:54 PM
(28-06-2011 07:29 PM)Lambros Wrote:  Welcome back Wouter, glad to hear you're feeling better. Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks, I have been reading on all the posts that have been posted, I especcially like your recent posts on you B200T, I also have the Menz range, although I struggled at first, I finally got the hang of is and it does a great job.

I do howerver have a problem with bird crap, just two weeks ago when I did my trunk lid I sealed it with Colli 845 and this past weekend afer my maint wash I saw a mark left where the bird drippings fell?

The other question I have for you is what is you combination of pads and polish whe you did your car, I know that all the German cars have a very hard clear coat, I have to do a lot of passes and work the product longer to get a result.

I will see what the internet does tomorrow, hopefully I can post some pictures. Or can I do it with my phone, because I cannot upload from my phone to this site but I can try to upload to flickr or picasa?

Wouter
28-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear things are going well - practice makes perfect - I still have a long way to go but love every minute of it.

I haven't had much experience with bird droppings leaving marks as I generally try to remove them as soon I see them. I use the technique as described by Mike Phillips on AutoGeekOnline (AutoGeekOnline - Safely remove bird droppings).

Basically, keep some quick detailer in your car/work and a couple of MF towels handy. When you spot droppings, spray some QD on a section of the MF, place the moistened section of the MF over the dropping, pour water onto the MF and let it soak for a while before 'pinch-lifting' the dropping from the surface area; try to lift as much as possible and use enough QD and water to soak into the dropping. Once all has been lifted, give a final spray of QD and wipe the section with a clean MF. Don't forget to bag the MF's and wash those separately and clean your hands afterwards - bird droppings are a cocktail of disease.

If any marks/etchings are left from the droppings (AutoGlym recently conducted a study into what actually causes the marks: AutoGlym study), you will need to compound/polish the affected area. Basically, the paint/clear coat molds around the dropping from heating and cooling and thus requires leveling to achieve a good reflection. I would first try claying the areas before resorting to hand compounding and polishing to see if it makes a positive difference, followed by the usual sealant or wax of your choice.

Sealants and waxes help with the removal of droppings but provide limited protection when exposed over a period of time. The sooner droppings are removed, the better.

Regarding my combination of pads/polishes with the DA, I always use the advise of the forum to first try with a light combination and move to more aggressive combo until the result/time balance is achieved. I have learnt that the DA is safer but does need to be worked longer (especially on harder paint) with foam pads to achieve good levels of correction. David posted some excellent advise in this thread which is what I follow when priming, relative speeds, number of section passes and finishing.

My combo with the hard German paints and DA is basically:
- Green LC CSS pad with Menz Power Gloss for quick correction (usually creates some holograms) - speed 5.5 with medium pressure.
- Green/White LC CSS pad with Menz Power finish for good correction and often great finish - speed 4-3 with medium/light pressure.
- White/Gray LC CSS or Yellow 3M pad with Menz Final finish for excellent reflections - speed 3-2 with very light pressure;
-- I don't always see a difference on hard paint from this step but it does make me feel better. Bluebiggrin
- Sealants and waxes I prefer to do by hand with foam applicators.

A bit long but hope it helps. I'm sure other members will also chime-in with their experiences. Thumb
29-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

It seems my internet has been sorted, here is a few pictures from since I started a few weeks ago with massive sickness:

The trunk after
[Image: 5883834322_d4f7f9c028_b.jpg]
The poop marks
[Image: 5883270281_cca33637bd_b.jpg]
The roof after
[Image: 5883834658_9e2819a3d4_b.jpg]
Engine bay before
[Image: 5883832134_597bd9b227_b.jpg]
[Image: 5883267455_3aef6c430b_b.jpg]
During
[Image: 5883833192_cd2f93c5b0_b.jpg]
After
[Image: 5883837738_fc9aa9e952_b.jpg]
[Image: 5883273075_8586cc0f14_b.jpg]
The I tried my hand at some hand polishing with SIP
Before
[Image: 5883272261_41abd13777_b.jpg]
After
[Image: 5883272527_b77f008f2b_b.jpg]
Before
[Image: 5883271769_ed9400545d_b.jpg]
After
[Image: 5883836854_ce838659bb_b.jpg]
Some 50/50 off the Adams Super VRT, this stuff is crazy!!!
[Image: 5883270605_93e60a9408_b.jpg]
[Image: 5883835824_4650d1b7a6_b.jpg]
This is the state my hood is in, that will be sorted as soon as I have time to do the rest of my exterior Thinking
[Image: 5883833468_92625a26a1_b.jpg]
Thanks for looking

Wouter
29-06-2011, 08:09 PM
very nice! Love the work on the engine

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. - Carl Sagan
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Nice job.
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 03:50 PM by Jughead.)
Nice work katotter .. Engine came out looking great !!!
04-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, I must say it is much harder and more work than I initially anticipated. I will be doing my whole car one of these days, I am just very busy with my first house I just baught, it needs some TLC and lotta moola!

I just need to swot up again on Daves post regarding the pad and polish and work time combination!

You definately will be seeing more off me on here soon!

Wouter
04-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Nicely done bud Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user