Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Severely oxidated headlights
03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Severely oxidated headlights
Hi Guys,

My aunt found out that I have a DA polisher and she asked me a favour.

She has a little Nissan Micra four door. The hesdlights have known better days, its just as bad as the Renault Clio that PaulVW restored a few months ago. I have the following in my arsenal, please advise if I can use it:

Menz Power Gloss
Menz SIP
Menz IP
Menz Final Finish
Megs Plast-X
Collinite 845
White, Blue and Red flexipads buffing pads.

Do you guys think I will be able to make a difference to the condition, or do I need to wetsand, I would rather not as I have no experience with it.

Thanks
Wouter

Wouter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
RE: Severely oxidated headlights
I've had a go at headlights before.
All I did was sand with waterpaper(P400 then P800) soaked in water and a soap of some kind, I would use your regular car wash shampoo, to lubricate. Then followed by SIP on a LC orange pad on my rotary. Results were good but I would suggest maybe using a finer grain sand paper(finer than P800) to finish before polishing to ensure that you remove more scarring caused by the sanding. Especially seeing as you are using a DA.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Lets see them.
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
If you wanted to see my attempt....sorry, they are on a car that wasn't mine and have no pics. They were on an old Chrysler Neon though.

[Image: 3orql10xyr5983zr0vrx.jpg]
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanx Stax, I will do the wetsand if all else fail. I will be trying the power gloss as it has the deepest cut, but I will follow the rule of least aggressive method first and then more aggressive. I saw a video on youtube off a Dodge Neon that a guy did, they were not as bed as these are but I think I will see results.

I will post some pics as soon as I see my aunt again, she is out of town for a while on business.

Wouter
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 12:36 PM by TOGWT.)
Removing oxidation or scratches from vehicle headlights or brake lights (also polycarbonate) also removes the OEM ultra violet (UV-B) protection. Surfaces that have yellowed are a sign that the ultra violet (UV) sacrificial coating has failed and must be resurfaced and re-coated

Application Methodology
• Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse or Zaino All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish
• Meguiar’s PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive, which requires a little pressure when applying it to enable these abrasives to remove the discoloured plastic and expose new plastic.
• If the lens is severely hazed or scratched wet-sand with 1000–1500-2000 grit finishing paper, allow finishing paper to soak for 30 minutes + and use plenty of surface lubrication
• Tape-off all around the lenses so that you don't accidentally wet sand or buff the surrounding areas.
• Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (Lake County (LC) White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator
• Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.
• Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)
• Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.
• Continue polishing until all the polish is gone
• Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel
• Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process 2-3 times as necessary
• Finally wipe down the headlight surfaces with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or a tack rag to eliminate any residue.
• Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and ultra violet (UV) oxidation (yellowing) as well as OEM applied UV protection that should be replaced

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -
04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Wow power failures suck! I have to do this post twice Plthumbsdown

Thanks TOGWT, as always a thorough post and answer. My uncle has however tried all the solvent based cleaners as he sprays Air Force helicopters, he has access to some. But to no avail Thinking

I am receiving my Plast-X this weekend so I will be trying it next week or so, but you said rather a RO polisher, why not my DA polisher? That is all I have!

You also said the surface must be re-coated, with what and how? Will Collinite 845 do, or am I on the wrong path?

Here is a few pics that I snapped a few hours ago, sorry if they are a bit crappy, but I took them with my phone Hammerhead :
Right hand side (when you are in the car)
[Image: 5900379533_e672fde10f_b.jpg]
Left hand side (when you are in the car)
[Image: 5900380521_1583bb58a9_b.jpg]
Left hand side closer up (this one has the worst oxidation and RIDS off the two)
[Image: 5900381651_d5bb8956c0_b.jpg]

Thanks
Wouter

Wouter
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Your best bet would be some p2000 and p3000 water paper followed by a couple of hits with SIP and FA or similar. Watch the speeds and pressure when polishing as the lenses could be deformed due to heat...

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2011, 11:24 AM
[You also said the surface must be re-coated, with what and how? Will Collinite 845 do, or am I on the wrong path?]

A product that contains UV protection (OPT Opti-Seal) or a clear coat paint that contains UV stabilizers.

I' sure Carn can advise what is available in SA

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Togwt/141827572547893 -