Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4 Average
Audi TT - Detailed by Poor-Boys
17-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Audi TT - Detailed by Poor-Boys
Sorry about the quality of the after pics... I need to work out how to adjust the camera for the lower light Thinking its a 8MP Olympus so it should be able to do stuff like that.

This was also the first time we used Chemical Guys - Extreme Top Coat, and it worked wonders! went on as easy as anything and came off even easier! It left and extremely wet looking car Bluebiggrin

before:
[Image: P8170007-1.jpg]

[Image: P8170003.jpg]

[Image: P8170005.jpg]

After:
[Image: P8170020.jpg]

[Image: P8170017.jpg]

[Image: P8170015.jpg]

[Image: P8170013.jpg]

[Image: P8170012.jpg]

[Image: P8170008.jpg]

[Image: P8170009.jpg]

[Image: P8170010.jpg]

[Image: P8170011.jpg]

[Image: P8170014.jpg]

[Image: P8170018.jpg]

[Image: P8170021.jpg]

freerider AKA don

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2008, 08:35 PM
RE: Audi TT - Detailed by Poor-Boys
Looking good, cant wait to try out the extreme top coat. Doesn't make sense if i think about it, mixing the sealent and the wax, but it seems to work very nicely.
In terms of polish what was used? Products + pads.
17-08-2008, 08:37 PM
[Image: P8170003.jpg]
Is that diffuser thing meant to be that grey? Couldn't have faded that quickly.
17-08-2008, 08:56 PM
yes, its meant 2 be that colour, matches the grill in the front.

wrt the polish and pads, menzerna ip with lake country orange light cutting pads.

freerider AKA don

18-08-2008, 08:50 AM
the spoiler is grey cause this is a S-Line TT

[Image: Header_bg.jpg]

18-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Nice work guys Thumbsup2

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Very nice guys. Great final wet finnish. Carn and I will be doing a sandy gold coloured one soon too.

How long you guys work on that car?
18-08-2008, 11:22 AM
7 hours!!

but there where many breaks!!!

the lady of the house has a catering business and makes a mean lunch and are very friendly in terms of offering us food and drink!!! Now both don and i have a weakness for food and boy did we eat!!!

I had Akni, prawns curry, chinese strifry and some dessert all in one sitting!!!

18-08-2008, 11:25 AM
dont forget the breyani! mmm

And custard and caramel danishes Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

18-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Howzit Guys

Thanks to Don & Megesh for a great job & a brilliant shine, had a look at it this morning in natural light and im very impressed. the paint looked quite dull before mainly due to bad washing technique but also coz of the crap paint protection i ordered from Audi, the car defo looks better than the day i collected it. Now just to maintainUhoh2
Glad you guys enjoyed the foodBluebiggrin
18-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear that! Its a pity the sun didnt stick around until we finished, would have made for much better pics Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

18-08-2008, 02:46 PM
The more Poor-Boys show and shine threads I read, I am further convinced that money spent on another dual action polisher would be wasted. You guys have reached the pinnacle of DA polishing. The only piece of equipment you need to invest in is a decent SLR cameraRofl

Weldone gents, pity there was no time for day light pics. Love the clarity in the second to last pic.

If you guys don't mind, please take us through your detailed process. Hope this request is not sounding like a Autostar (Meguiars forum member) request. I want to pick up how these Menzerna paint cleaners work. Looks like there is no need to include an in between step with a glaze (M07 Show Car Glaze / Deep Crystal 2) or a product rich in polishing oils (M82 Hand Polish / M80 Speed Glaze).
18-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Don't worry Don, we had no sun most of the weekend we were busy with a black Megane Hammerhead

Yea, show us your product list used Don....Did you use any of the new CG stuff on this one ?

Siya if you use either the SIP or 106FA in the Menzerna range they both have a gloss level of 5 (the highest in the Menz ratings) and finish down extremely well (as a result of being based on diminishing abrasives). Some guys follow SIP with 106FA on a black LC pad (no cut) to jewel the surface even further but considering how well the SIP finished down on it's own, I hardly think for the average user it is worth it...Think that is what you were asking about unless I misunderstood you Icon9

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Like don said in the original post, this is the first car we know off to have CG Extreme Top Coat...

We used IP and a ligh Cutting pad and alot of patience. Paint took some working but we managed to get the best we could!

It was then directly finished of with CG extreme Top Coat...
When we first got it and we did the normal rub bettween the fingers test, and man is this stuff oily looking!!! thats what is giving the great depth and wet look in the shine!

18-08-2008, 04:31 PM
just to top what Megesh said I'll list the steps and products used Bluebiggrin

Wash (Megs Shampoo Plus 30ml per 2 gallons water)
Dry
Clay (1 x meguiars clay used by Megesh, 1 x Clay magic fine used by myself both with Adams detail spray as lube in an atomiser bottle)
Plastic lenses polished (Mothers Plastic Polish)
Car Taped (3M painters Tape)
Correction and finishing 1 step (Menzerna IP and Light Cutting pad)

LSP originally 2 steps replaced with Chemical Guys Top Coat as a single step.

We spend the most of our time on the claying and correction stage of the detail, as in our opinion these are definitely the most important for a good finish.

freerider AKA don

18-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Quote:Siya if you use either the SIP or 106FA in the Menzerna range they both have a gloss level of 5 (the highest in the Menz ratings) and finish down extremely well (as a result of being based on diminishing abrasives). Some guys follow SIP with 106FA on a black LC pad (no cut) to jewel the surface even further but considering how well the SIP finished down on it's own, I hardly think for the average user it is worth it...Think that is what you were asking about unless I misunderstood you

Thanks Carn, guess it makes sense why Menzerna products are at a slight premium to other brands. The ability to compound and finish to a LSP ready surface is probably what makes their products special. As a Megs fan, I have to go through at least two product before thinking of a LSP.

Quote:just to top what Megesh said I'll list the steps and products used Bluebiggrin

Wash (Megs Shampoo Plus 30ml per 2 gallons water)
Dry
Clay (1 x meguiars clay used by Megesh, 1 x Clay magic fine used by myself both with Adams detail spray as lube in an atomiser bottle)
Plastic lenses polished (Mothers Plastic Polish)
Car Taped (3M painters Tape)
Correction and finishing 1 step (Menzerna IP and Light Cutting pad)

LSP originally 2 steps replaced with Chemical Guys Top Coat as a single step.

We spend the most of our time on the claying and correction stage of the detail, as in our opinion these are definitely the most important for a good finish.

Thanks Don / Megesh.

I presume you guys are using the DeWalt and Makita DAs? Why have you moved over to Lake Country pads? Is it the price compared to Meguiars pads or do they produce better results?
18-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Siya the biggest reason for me would be that there is no cookie cuter effect with the LC pads due to the 6" velcro pad on the back.

you are correct in assuming that we are still using the Makita and Dewalt.... only until the Flex's arrive Bluebiggrin

I would assume the premium price you pay for Menzerna definitely has a lot to do with its start to finish ability and not having to waste time with other products

freerider AKA don

18-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I've got all the Menzerna sitting at my house any nothing to use it with. Sad
20-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Donovon and Megesh, congratulations on some fine work there. Big Clap