Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3 Average
Some Chilli anyone?
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Some Chilli anyone?
Hello guys

This is my first write up here so be gentle Hammerhead

The car belongs to my mom and she has had it for a year now. The Car is a Chilli Red Peugeot 206 Popart. Its a great car. Only pain is that the sound system (Factory fitted JBS Sound system) only gives you half an hour and then you have to start the car. And switch it off to get it our of "Safe Mode" so you can continue listening. After a while I agve up with that and put the PC in the garage with the speakers cos I have to work with music... Nono

Anwyay. Told my mom not to clean the car a few weeks in advance (Didnt need more damage) and here are the results:

[Image: PICT0041.jpg]

[Image: PICT0042.jpg]

And no that is not just dirt dulling the finish. The paint itself was dull too Bawling

[Image: PICT0048.jpg]

Some lovely swirls:

[Image: PICT0060.jpg]

[Image: PICT0053.jpg]

[Image: PICT0039-1.jpg]

[Image: PICT0076.jpg]

The 50:50 was done on a panel that was resprayed about two months ago... So you can imagine the swirls on the rest of the car.

Anyways.

The car wash washed and then prepped with a ton of tape (Just for the fun of it not that I needed it) and then driven to Cape Gate to collect a DVD for my little brother. The comments and stares were rather entertaining Bluebiggrin

Car was then rewashed (purely so I could spray my next door neighbours car down for him) and dried with a microfibre. Here is the fun part.

I used a standard cheap Rotary Polisher from Game which only spins at 3200RPM which was rather painful. The worst part is that it has a 9 inch in diameter pad Argue. Not very useful I must say. But it was all about experimentation.

I dont have much money at the moment so this was pretty much a bargain detail. I used a cheap R30 polish (Also bought at Game) but cant remember its name and then finished the care off with some Bilt hamber Auto Balm wax. The Bilt Hamber really did the job for me. It enriched the paint and after working with the rotary I appreciated using my hands and a sonus applicator applying it. Dont however leave it on for too long else its a pain to remove.

I would recommend it to anyone that has not used it before. Its a hard wax and lasts forever and not only removes swirls but is also a paint cleanser and hides the deeper swirls Drool

The car was then buffed and rewashed. The arches were scrubbed using a Prepsol degreaser (Curtesy of my fathers company) and Tyre foam was sprayed on the wheels. I found that the tyre foam was not only useful for the wheels but if sprayed inside the arches and allowed to dry it did an amazing job making the arches a deep black.

Here are a few afters:

[Image: PICT0113.jpg]

[Image: PICT0086.jpg]

A very much clean engine bay:

[Image: PICT0117-1.jpg]

And as the sun set I got a bit arty with the camera. The refections you see are from the clouds:

[Image: PICT0203.jpg]

[Image: PICT0163.jpg]

[Image: PICT0193.jpg]

[Image: PICT0201.jpg]

In general I must say the car was a pleasure to work on. I found it rewarding and tiring to say the least.

Thanks for reading. All comments are welcome.

Mike

[Image: 64-1.jpg]

** Still thinking of something intelligent to say... **

:icon9:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
RE: Some Chilli anyone?
Looks very good, makes me wonder why I just spent so much $$$ on polishing compounds and machines Bluebiggrin

Tell us more about this wax you used"?" where di you get it from and how much does it cost?

freerider AKA don

06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
The wax is called Bilt Hamber Auto Balm.
It is from the UK (Manufactured there) and can be bought here:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store...ductId=529

Its fantastic. Using the applicator that comes with it you wet it and rub on whilst the applicator is wet. You then give it two minutes and wipe off with a microfibre. The microfibre usually ends up pretty dirty because the wax cleans the paint much like a clay bar does.

If you want. I have a friend coming from the UK. At the current exchange rate that is R225 which is a lot but it lasts forever and we could do a group buy?

Mike

06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Jeepers, that's a pretty decent correction for "cheap" rotary. Bluebiggrin Well done mate! I've seen a couple of the guys on DW playing with Bilt-Hamber bits and bobs.

Matteo - 2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
[Image: forumsignature.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Excellent work Mike, please post the rest of the pics (saw your post on DW).

Oh, welcome to the Forum, I am glad you signed up.
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Mike,

Nice work and good results - I'm sure your mom must be chuffed with her "new" car Thumb

Could you just clarify one thing for me. I notice your comment about the rotary only spinning at 3200rpm - do you mean it only has one speed setting, or that that is it's maximum speed? What make is it?
21-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Hello Woodie

Sorry only just seen this now. The rotary is a cheap rotary from Game stores. lol

It has a maxium speed of 3200RPM and only only setting. No slower. No faster. No idea what the make is. but considering it cost me R200 its not the worlds greatest. But you make do with what you have. lol

Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MINI 1.6 Base Chilli Red Minimike19 7 16,643 30-09-2010 01:34 PM
Last Post: Minimike19