Thread Rating:
  • 15 Votes - 1.53 Average
Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
25-11-2008, 12:16 PM
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
Hello

Engine Cleaning:

The reason I didnt use a high pressure washer and rather a normal tap is because I was able to completely dry the engine bay after rinsing with the air blower. So no issues for me with that but for those that dont have it then good point. Keep in mind that most people reading this are UK residents who are going into winter. The last thing they want is water in spots they cant reach due to too much presure then freezing up in the engine bay.

Bodywash:

The APC 3000 cleaner has been used on all our cars since day one. My fathers Pajero is 8 years old and has no issues what so ever. Its simply a very strong degreaser and soap. My father is the only seller of it here in SA if I remember correctly and it will not damage your paint work at all or strip your polish. I agree that a second wash would have been good by hand but once again I didnt need to. I didnt touch the car once when drying it.

Interesting. The car in hand is a year and a half old and has been cleaned by a pressure washer from day one, with APC and dried with microfibre and I can safely say it has no swirls whatsoever compared to the Pajero which has been hand washed for about 5 years and is swirlishess.

Trim dressing:

There are quite a few mixed feelings on this one on the few forums I have posted this write up on. Keeping in mind most of these forums are UK based. I personally would never use shoe polish myself (I use Holts Back to black bumper cream/ liquid stuff) but overseas it has become quite a trend. The words shoe polish were simply referring to any product you can use.

General:

I wanted to keep this write up rather simplified with regards to products.I dont want to seem loyal to certain brands and at the same time mentioning SA brands on UK sites just causes questions etc which I cant answer as they dont have the products we have.

Without sounding stuck up I have been using this wash method for at least three years now and have never had any issues. Its quick, relatively detailed and useful to the ordinary person who does not really want to spend an entire day detailing.

I hope that sort of explains my methods? Thanks for taking the time to write that up though.

Mike

[Image: 64-1.jpg]

** Still thinking of something intelligent to say... **

:icon9:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too) - 08micsta - 25-11-2008 12:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some Cars Ive Done Evovish 14 33,674 13-02-2011 01:28 AM
Last Post: Edlover
  Weekend Spring cleaning activities Woodie 8 22,322 14-12-2010 12:01 PM
Last Post: Woodie
  20 Cars ,7 Days Extremely Contaminated.Detailed by Chemical Guys & Smartwax S.A Naush 12 33,311 26-11-2010 10:47 PM
Last Post: PAP AND FLIES