Thread Rating:
  • 15 Votes - 1.53 Average
Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
28-11-2008, 10:30 AM
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
First up.... thanks for taking the time to take the pics and do the write up...

Ok firstly... APC strips wax... no doubt in my mind of that. I have waxed my car before and used a diluted solution of Megs APC around a badge with a soft brush and instantly I can see where the wax has been broken down in that area... Unless you are planning to reseal the paint I would avoid such a strong detergent as an everyday wash. Sure it will pull virtually everything off the paint, but the wax too??? Uhoh2

On the subject of Autosol... If you really want to clean up the lips of those tailpipes try a piece of steelwool with the Sol to really pull off the carbonation thats baked on there. Trust me it works a charm and after u can refine the finish with some Sol on a cheap MF cloth...

I wouldnt use show polish on the modern rubber and plastic compounds that are on vehicles these days. A good trim dresser contains the necessary's to actually rejuvenate and protect them from the sun without smearing black pigment onto the buggers. Just my opinion.

You get good results with your process, so dont change it for me or anyone else here if u feel u dont need to. But if I were you, get yourself a good durable wax like collonite, petes or XXX or a good sealant to slap on that paint. Does water even bead at all on the surface anymore??? If not then seal it up properly. Nothing preserves and enhances your ride's finish better than protecting it properly.

Just my 2c
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too) - bindog - 28-11-2008 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some Cars Ive Done Evovish 14 33,492 13-02-2011 01:28 AM
Last Post: Edlover
  Weekend Spring cleaning activities Woodie 8 22,221 14-12-2010 12:01 PM
Last Post: Woodie
  20 Cars ,7 Days Extremely Contaminated.Detailed by Chemical Guys & Smartwax S.A Naush 12 33,175 26-11-2010 10:47 PM
Last Post: PAP AND FLIES