Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alota tar
25-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Alota tar
Hi guys,

Have been quite busy the last few months wit my new house I bought, renovating and gardening en en en en...

The local municipality the decided to retar the road I take home, and well, I drove through a fresh puddle of tar, warm and wet. I live 27km out of town and could not stop to scrape most of the wet tar off, so when I got home I saw the destruction, tar all over the left hand side of my car. Now I'm in Polokwane for the weekend (drove trouhg last night) washed my car this morning and saw that the majority is small specks and then at the en of the front fender there is a whole build up of tar.

I reckon that the specs will be able to be removed with clay, but I do not know what to do with the lump of tar at the bottom, solvent?

I do not have any pics as I'm posting from om phone.
Can someone please help?
Wouter

Wouter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2011, 11:13 AM
RE: Alota tar
Megs, Sonax and others do a Bug and Tar remover which works well, otherwise, I belive that Eucalyptus oil also works magic in dissolving tar, and it should be available from most pharmacies, I got mine at Diskem.
25-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm a huge fan of Eucalyptus Oil for a job like this - small and larger tar deposits. For the small spots I find it to be a more cost effective way to deal with the problem that clay.

For best results, decant the oil into a small spray bottle, spray onto the affected area, let it dwell and then wipe it off with an old microfiber cloth. For heavier deposits you may need to repeat the process.
26-11-2011, 06:49 AM
parrafin works well for me on tar spots and concentrated build up as well . soak once and wipe with a microfibre.

i have been warned by the guru's on the forum that it may stain although i have not had that exprience personally .

The right amount of elbow grease will make anything shine ....
26-11-2011, 12:26 PM
+1 on the eucalyptus oil, works a treat on sticker adhesive as well Thumb

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Wouter

I've used the eucalyptus remedy a few times. Works really well. The scent of the eucalyptus is also far less taxing on the nostrils than chemicals.
10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi chaps, been quite busy with my house and family, will only be getting to removing the tar this weekend, hopefully the waiting period would not have effected my paint...

You all said that the oil would work good, but do I just spray it on and wipe it off or is there a specific way of going at it? It hasesome sand grit in it as well on the kick plate.

BTW, thank you all for the response.

Wouter
10-01-2012, 03:46 PM
WD-40 works a treat!

Eucalyptus Oil the most cost effective route by far...

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
10-01-2012, 03:52 PM
(10-01-2012 03:46 PM)onyx Wrote:  WD-40 works a treat!

Eucalyptus Oil the most cost effective route by far...
Thanx man, will try the WD-40 sommer tonight. PoloGTIman on vwcsa suggested Peanut Butter, I reckon it is because of the oils in it then?

Wouter