Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
Launched & Tested - Golf TSI
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Launched & Tested - Golf TSI
Launched & Tested – Golf TSI

Only a few days ago a feeble little man knocked on the door of my lodge swinging a newspaper in my face with a look of utmost contempt on his face. Naturally I was terrified and fearing my life I quickly swung a 10 rand note at the man and slammed the door shut.

You see I have spent the last few days living in bachelorhood (Is that even a word) on a small farm in the middle of nowhere. This on its own is unusual much like the report on the front page of the newspaper I was holding. In bold letters at the top of the page were “57 False Killer Whales stranded”.

With a look of disbelieve I turned on the television and to my amazement I watched as countless volunteers attempted to push the whales back into the ocean with no success. A day later over 47 whales had been shot which obviously set off the SPCA, human rights activists as well as Green Peace. Naturally the queen also got involved and a week later the scandal still continues.

Do you realize that the killer whale is a toothed whale and is a member of the Dolphin family? This means that the killer whale is not only a sophisticated fish but also an intelligent mammal. Do you know that the best place to view Killer Whales is off Vancouver Island in British Columbia in Canada? What on earth were they thinking when they swam 10 000km to South Africa? What were they thinking when they decided to tan on the beach with a dodgy tide?

This brings me onto the new Golf 6. What were the Germans thinking? Have they finally lost the plot? Are their shoe laces choking the blood supply to their heads? Have they turned into Killer Whales?

I think so.

Today I had the pleasure of driving the new Golf 6 in TSI form. What an experience.

It’s not often that I am taken aback by a 1.4 Litre powered car but this vehicle truly has left me trembling. Volkswagen began producing the Golf or Rabbit as it is known in America in 1974 and is the only company in the world to produce a model for over 34 years. Five generations later the new Golf 6 has a lot to prove after the huge success of the 5th generation golf which in GTI form won car of the year in 2005.

At this point I would like to introduce you to the car that redefines the car. The Golf is no longer the aftermath of the glorious beetle. It is accentuated; more defined and with a brand new engine line up it has a huge amount of potential. Launched only recently in South Africa the new Golf also dubbed as the Golf 5.5 has truly turned heads.

The vehicle I tested is the 1.4 Litre TSI which produces a phenomenal 118kw a mere 30kw less than the current 2.0 litre GTI. This is all due to the new TSI engine which utilizes both a supercharger and turbocharger to produce a vehicle that has recently won World Car of the year for 2009.

Performance:

This is the most incredible part of this vehicle. You expect to have to over rev it. To have to beg for it to go just that much faster. But this vehicle is the exact opposite! With over 240NM of torque, a 0-100km time of only 7.5 seconds and a 6 speed manual or DSG transmission you have the ultimate wolf in sheep’s clothing. And you get all of this in the sublime body of Golf with the fuel economy of 6.5 litres per 100km! That’s simply astonishing. Even more astonishing is the power delivery.

You get the instant power of the supercharger up to 3400RPM and then with seamless ease the turbo kicks in and attempts to break your neck. And it doesn’t end there. Throughout the rev range its just power, power and more power! The new Golf 6 is truly a driver’s car. The clutch seems manly; the power is breath taking and the gearbox although a bit notchy is great fun to play with due to the longer rev range. And all of this from an adolescent little 1.4 Litre engine! I love it.

Comfort:

Volkswagen set the benchmark with the 5th Generation Golf and this trend has been continued with the Golf 6. Enter the cabin and you will find yourself in the quietest car in its class. You will find yourself surrounded by Napa Leather and slight hints of chrome. The seats are extremely supportive for cornering and VW has seriously reworked the sound system. Expect to find a highly innovative touch screen Sat Nav unit with Media functions for both Ipod and an Aux port for cellphones and other devices all standard.

Even in the rough roads of Cape Town the car flowed effortlessly in silence over the bumps only to be disturbed by the fruity growl of the TSI engine and the occasional squeal from the tyres as you put the car sideways in the corners. For the love of the drive hey?

Design:

This vehicle is unmistakably Golf. Volkswagen have carried over a variety of parts and styling cues from the original 1st generation and 5th generation golf and incorporated them into a car that is truly hideous in pictures but absolutely beautiful in reality. The 17 inch Porto alloy rims similar to those seen on the new Scirocco mixed with the cars strong contours are truly refreshing. Even more refreshing is the lack of the VW corporate look in the front and back. Although Xenon’s are not currently an option they will be in August when the GTI is officially launched in South Africa.

Safety:

The new Golf 6 is the safest vehicle in its class. Achieving a 5 star NCAP Rating and getting a ranking of 36 out of a possible 37 points is a remarkable achievement. The vehicle also incorporates over 6 airbags including knee airbags for collisions and improved pedestrian safety scores.

Conclusion:

If you buy one of these cars you will hate to love it. Simple.

Every time you beat a Ford Fiesta ST off the lights you will feel like a complete tart because you have spent R270 000 (R30 000 less than the Golf 6 GTI will cost) on a 1.4 litre engine. Much like the whales you will be revered at for being intelligent and beautiful which is what the new golf is. But secretly Green Peace will be laughing at you for being cheap and buying a performance budget car at an inflated price.

You won’t get shot but you will constantly find yourself looking for cars to race to prove that you are in fact a man with a working set of balls and you will feel like you constantly need to floor it between robots to show those Yaris’s that you are in fact faster and that you didn’t waste your money.

And when you look in the back of the car magazine you won’t find your car because much like the killer whales you won’t know where you are or where to look because your car has no category. And you will be stranded when you want to sell it because nobody likes a dead whale much like nobody wants a car that doesn’t know what it is. It’s like an ugly boy who is dating a supermodel. You have the chick – Well done. But you’re still ugly. The new TSI Golf is very much like this.

And yet I don’t care.

This is an amazing piece of technology. It’s the coolest thing since breast implants. It’s the cherry on the cake and its so much fun!

Volkswagen has put the fun back into small engined cars. Yes the price is excessive but the look on the face of the Ford Fiesta ST owners face when you fly past him is priceless and so is the quality, the practicality and the performance is simply astonishing!

It’s the Ou Revoir of the Volkswagen range and leaves us with huge expectations for the GTI. The Golf 6 TSI truly does redefine the car. It left me speechless and with its superb dynamics, class leading interior and long standing heritage I would recommend it to anyone.

Well Done Volkswagen. The Golf lives on!

[Image: 1-11.jpg]

[Image: 5-5.jpg]

[Image: 4-9.jpg]

[Image: 3-13.jpg]

[Image: 6-5.jpg]

[Image: 2-9.jpg]

Mike

**The above article is copy-righted. Should you want to use it or the images please obtain my permission first**
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
RE: Launched & Tested - Golf TSI
The new technology is cool
But at the end of the Day its still a Golf

[Image: Crop.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Great effort in writing such a review but it comes off as being very fanboyish.
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Firstly I must admit that I am a MK5 GTI lover. I have hated the MK6 since the preview pics were leaked and have absolutely no interest in the car. As Liqui Moly and as having a MK5 GTI in our family I was invited to drive the car and although curious I was never at all interested.

But honestly. You will love to hate this car.

You get MK5 GTI performance from a 1.4 litre engine. No lag, no running out of power. Just seamless fun and lots of torque. And the quality in this vehicle makes the Golf 5 look like a Fiat. Guys I am not a fanboy. I am realistic and this car has the potential to kill BMW 1 & 3 series sales. The interior is leaps ahead, power and economy is improved hugely and its affordable. My biggest issue with this car is that it doesnt know what it is. Is it a uderstated hothatch? Or is it a city car with too much power? This is all IMO though. Go have a play with the car and I am sure you will agree.

I dont expect anyone to believe me. When they gave me the keys to a 1.4 I begged for the 1.6 and the lady insisted I use the TSI. And it has blown me away. Just go visit VW and take one for a spin. You will understand where I am coming from.

Mike
I have also tried to be very unbiased. I feel that this issue of a R270 000 (For top of the range) 1.4 litre engined car is crazy and unheard of. I feel its going to be a rough ride getting people to believe the potential this car has.

But I am realistic. Its a fabulous car.

Mike
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2009 10:14 AM by Woodie.)
(05-06-2009 07:08 AM)calypso Wrote:  Great effort in writing such a review but it comes off as being very fanboyish.

+1

(05-06-2009 09:46 AM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Guys I am not a fanboy.

Wrong - you are a self confessed VAG slut.

(05-06-2009 09:46 AM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  I am realistic and this car has the potential to kill BMW 1 & 3 series sales.

I disagree - the car will definitely appeal to VW fans, but I do not see it stealing buyers from the BMW stable.

(05-06-2009 09:46 AM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  and its affordable.

By whose standards?
05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Just wait until Autostyle get hold of it Bluebiggrin

[Image: Waxonwaxoff2.jpg]
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Confused1 .......

FALSE killer whales share characteristics with the more widely known Orca ("killer whale"). The two species look somewhat similar and, like the orca, the False Killer Whale attacks and kills other cetaceans. However, the two dolphin species are not closely related.

freerider AKA don

05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello guys

I think that I wont be posting my thoughts on cars in the future on this forum.

Woodie:

Yes I am a VAG Slut. But! I hated the MK6 before driving it and since I had never driven a Golf of any sorts before I feel that compared to the MK5 GTI this car is incredible. It has won world car of the year as voted by 57 journalists. In my opinion I feel this is a fantastic car.

You also forget that this vehicle is a direct match to the 1 series. Of which it has improved interior, performance (Based on pricing) and is more spacious. The Golf has entered the big boys. Its no longer a cheap runaround. The quality is exceptional. The 270 000 rand as quoted is for a highline model which is top of the range. Compare these prices to that of the Highline FSI (Top of the range MK5 in 2005) the prices are in fact on par.

Affordable? Did you perhaps miss the part where I stated that the price was crazy? I think so. Now tell me. Whats more affordable to run? A mk5 GTI or a 1.4 litre TSI? Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was refferring to the running costs. With regards to "by whose standards" I really dont know if I should take this personally or if I should disregard it. Either way it isnt appropriate considering Im a 18 year old who doesnt even have a car. I hope you are not judging me.

With regards to killer whales I apologise. I ran a Google search on "Killer whales" and forgot that it was in fact False Killer whales. I shall google better in the future.

Mike
05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Mike - I'm not judging you at all. You have written a good report, which I indicated in my original post. However, as with all motoring articles you have stated your opinions, as do all motoring journalists. The difference is that magazine articles and TV programs are not interactive, whereas an internet forum is and I commented on areas where my opinion differs from yours.

As far as your age is concerned, it is totally immaterial to my post. The fact that you are 18 doesn't make any comments or criticism of your opinions inappropriate as I would have made the same comments if you were 30, 40, 50 or 80.

Affordability - I did not read your post in the context of running costs, but price. In the current economic climate, R270k is a huge amount of money for a car, particularly if you take perception into account. Outside of petrolheads who appreciate the technology, the rest of the motoring public will see this as a simple 1.4 Golf.

Taking into account vehicle depreciation rates, I would personally rather settle for a low mileage '07/'08. I can get a lot of car for R270K
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
(05-06-2009 02:46 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Hello guys

I think that I wont be posting my thoughts on cars in the future on this forum.

Woodie:

Yes I am a VAG Slut. But! I hated the MK6 before driving it and since I had never driven a Golf of any sorts before I feel that compared to the MK5 GTI this car is incredible. It has won world car of the year as voted by 57 journalists. In my opinion I feel this is a fantastic car.

You also forget that this vehicle is a direct match to the 1 series. Of which it has improved interior, performance (Based on pricing) and is more spacious. The Golf has entered the big boys. Its no longer a cheap runaround. The quality is exceptional. The 270 000 rand as quoted is for a highline model which is top of the range. Compare these prices to that of the Highline FSI (Top of the range MK5 in 2005) the prices are in fact on par.

Affordable? Did you perhaps miss the part where I stated that the price was crazy? I think so. Now tell me. Whats more affordable to run? A mk5 GTI or a 1.4 litre TSI? Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was refferring to the running costs. With regards to "by whose standards" I really dont know if I should take this personally or if I should disregard it. Either way it isnt appropriate considering Im a 18 year old who doesnt even have a car. I hope you are not judging me.

With regards to killer whales I apologise. I ran a Google search on "Killer whales" and forgot that it was in fact False Killer whales. I shall google better in the future.

Mike

Nono pay attention young lad Icon9

Nice write up dude. Let the record show that I do not like the new Golf 6, or Golf 5 facelift, or whatever the hell it is. I saw one in the traffic the other day and I was really unimpressed with its exterior looks.

If I was going to buy a VAG car, it most definitely be a Scirrrrrrooooococococo Bluebiggrin Now that is a mean looking car Bluebiggrin

freerider AKA don

05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks and I totally agree with you woody. But it is a lot of car imo.

And yes.... The Scirocco is amazing. I would much rather have one of those over the Golf 6... yummy!

Mike
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
(05-06-2009 05:21 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Thanks and I totally agree with you woody. But it is a lot of car imo.

And yes.... The Scirocco is amazing. I would much rather have one of those over the Golf 6... yummy!

Mike

Now get your ass out there and find one of those to write a review on please Wink

freerider AKA don

05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
(05-06-2009 05:01 PM)freerider Wrote:  If I was going to buy a VAG car, it most definitely be a Scirrrrrrooooococococo Bluebiggrin Now that is a mean looking car Bluebiggrin

(05-06-2009 05:21 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  And yes.... The Scirocco is amazing. I would much rather have one of those over the Golf 6... yummy!

Agree 100%. The Scirocco looks so mean on the road that it scares an X6!
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I would take a white one 2.0TSI to be exact, and then I would slam it (they sit way too high) and cover the roof in black vinyl Wink

freerider AKA don

05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Hell yea!

Will email VW and request a drive... But I think I will love it more than the golf 6.

The Rocco is gonna be a modifiers dream IMO.

Mike
05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Ill be keeping my ST thanks :-)
After fitting the new DP after the old one failed ....Im in love again
Just my 5c

5pot turbo FTW :-)

05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Aaah but how can u compare a 2.5 (i stand to be corrected) litre turbo charged Ford to a 1.4 litre TSI.... lol

It would be stupid to downgrade. lol.... unless you were buying the GTI.

Mike
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Nice write up, thanks for sharing your opinions with us Mike Wink

(05-06-2009 02:46 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  I think that I wont be posting my thoughts on cars in the future on this forum.

Don't take the comments and differing opinions personally. As with anything in life people have their own opinions and will more often than not differ from your own Wink

David : 083 642 2118
www.mobileimage.co.za

[Image: header2.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2009, 11:07 AM
(05-06-2009 10:23 PM)Liqui-Moly Wrote:  Aaah but how can u compare a 2.5 (i stand to be corrected) litre turbo charged Ford to a 1.4 litre TSI.... lol

It would be stupid to downgrade. lol.... unless you were buying the GTI.

Mike

Yup its a 2.5 5 cyclinder Turbo Bluebiggrin
HAHAH if i bought a GTI it would be a downgrade
My next car is the 335i Bluebiggrin

06-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks Carn. I thought one of the members here was making assumptions and such about me and took offence. Didnt realise he hadnt meant it that way. I dont mind opinions. Bluebiggrin

Lambchop - You must remember that the new GTI is 155kw and its TSI so its lighter and a lot more torquer. It wont be faster than the ST but it will be fabulous IMO. The 335i seems to be the next move. There has been a lot of debate though with regards to which is better. The 335i or the 330D.

Numerous magazine have tested both and many are saying the 330D is equally as fast and for affordable with the exception of servicing costs. The whole debate is a bit like the 1.4 TSI Golf.... Yes it is as fast as a MK5 GTI. Much like the 330D is as fast as the 335i. But its a 1.4 litre engine! And on the other side its a bloody Diesel!

The car manufacturers are truly sending out mixed messages to their clients. Thats the one thing I hated about the Golf 6 TSI. You sit in the traffic and you are constantly reminding yourself that you are in fact driving a 1.4 and not a GTI. I think its the same with the 330D. Everytime you see a 335i go past you are going to wish you had manned up and bought that rather.

Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  VW - Golf 6 - GTi Trio Rich 11 29,448 22-10-2010 08:27 AM
Last Post: Jughead
  Monster Golf IV whattingh 7 16,290 26-02-2009 09:48 PM
Last Post: Carn
  Advice required: takkies for the Golf Starvekos 33 68,802 09-12-2008 08:58 AM
Last Post: crazygolfer