Thread Rating:
  • 15 Votes - 1.53 Average
Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
25-11-2008, 11:47 AM
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too)
Mike, hope you don’t take this the wrong way. But I would propose a few alterations to your wash guide before it becomes conventional wisdom

Engine cleaning
I would rather use a pressure washer to rinse the degreaser in the engine bay. A jet of water from a pressure washer releases less water than a stream from a garden hose or a jug. To that end, there should be less water being sprayed close to sensitive electronic components in your engine. Rather stick to a pressure washer when cleaning the engine bay.

Body wash
I am not familiar with APC 3000 however if it is a degreaser, then I would not recommend it for foaming a car especially for a routine / maintenance wash. A degrease will most like strip your previously applied protection (wax or sealant) thus leaving your car unprotected in the harsh African conditions.

I suspect that the APC 3000 is a highly concentrated cleaner because the car did not require a 2 bucket system hand wash after rinsing foam. If you were using a gentle (PH balanced / neutral) shampoo for foaming, you would most likely need to follow up with washing using a bucket and a wash mitt. Interesting to hear your thoughts on washing using car shampoo in a bucket or two.

Trim dressing
I wouldn’t recommend shoe polish for trim dressing. I have seen what shoe polish does to vinyl and tyres after protracted use. Shoe polish stains and it will advance the fading on your plastics. Rather use a dedicated vinyl dressing product.

General
The rest of the post is rather vague about accessories and products used (glass, trim dressing, rubber care) but I suspect that you are being objective and not trying to lead users to a particular brand. There are few detailing pr

Tanks for posting
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cleaning a MK5 GTi- All you need to know (Other cars too) - Starvekos - 25-11-2008 11:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some Cars Ive Done Evovish 14 33,700 13-02-2011 01:28 AM
Last Post: Edlover
  Weekend Spring cleaning activities Woodie 8 22,337 14-12-2010 12:01 PM
Last Post: Woodie
  20 Cars ,7 Days Extremely Contaminated.Detailed by Chemical Guys & Smartwax S.A Naush 12 33,339 26-11-2010 10:47 PM
Last Post: PAP AND FLIES